Author Topic: Hunts Cyclist/Signaller/Royal Warks Regiment  (Read 727 times)

Offline Helena11a

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hunts Cyclist/Signaller/Royal Warks Regiment
« on: Thursday 15 February 18 15:28 GMT (UK) »
I am looking into my husbands grandfathers WW1 service (his papers haven't survived).  He joined the Hunts Cyclists and in Aug 1916 was transferred to the Royal Warks regiment 143rd Brigade, 48th division.  We have a photo of him with his parents and siblings taken in 1915 and he has crossed flags on his left forearm which looks like a crescent with T (territorials) above.  We do know he was also (according to the medal roll) in the Royal Engineers and a signaller.  Do the crossed flags mean signaller? 

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Hunts Cyclist/Signaller/Royal Warks Regiment
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 15 February 18 15:58 GMT (UK) »
Sounds like two separate badges?  Crossed flags is indeed the signallers badge worn lower left arm.  A crescent with a T above is usually found on the shoulder strap, the crescent being the name or initials of the regiment and the T above signifying a Territorial Force unit.  Are they together on the lower arm?  A clip out of the photo would help.

143rd Brigade had four battalions of the Warwickshires 1/5, 1/6, 1/7 and 1/8, all initially in France but in late 1917 sent to Italy.

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline Helena11a

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 15 February 18 16:21 GMT (UK) »
Photo attached.

He was transferred from the 1/1st Hunts cyclist to the 1/7th Royal Warks battalion on 8th Aug 1916 part of the 143rd brigade and 148th South Midland Division and he did indeed serve in Italy from Nov 1917. Somewhere along the way he was in the Royal Engineers (according to the medal roll) but in 1915 and 1917 was a signaller

A photo we have of him with 2 other Hunts Cyclists taken in 1915 certainly has Hunts on the shoulder underneath the crescent with T. This ties in with him being awarded the T medal as well.

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 15 February 18 16:43 GMT (UK) »
The other badge is a proficiency badge, the crescent shape is laurel wreaths and the letter above denotes the particular aspect he has passed a test in.  The letters are in a fancy script similar to the one attached (which is a Lewis Gunner) so may not be a T - in any event I don't think there was a badge with a T - others may have an idea.

MaxD

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk

Offline Helena11a

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 15 February 18 17:11 GMT (UK) »
Thank you  :)

I have found a site that lists them along with the signalling flags.  All we know that he told his son, my late father in law he checked overhead telephone wires by mule!

Anyway I have remembered we have his 'Permanent pass' from 1919/20 which shows he was in the signal company RE at Crowborough Camp?

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 15 February 18 17:35 GMT (UK) »
Both tales true!  In 1917 the army had about half a million horses and a quarter of a million mules used for all sorts of things.
The Signals Companies of the RE were responsible for signals before the Royal Signals were formed in Jun/Jul 1920.  Crowborough, just south of Tunbridge Wells in Kent.  Infantry battalions and others had their own signallers responsible for communications at that level, the RE looked after the higher levels of communication.

MaxD

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk

Offline Helena11a

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 15 February 18 17:55 GMT (UK) »
Thank you that makes things clearer, just got to find when he transferred to the RE.  I have just ordered the War Diaries of the 1/6th RWR they are published by the Naval and Military press.  Not expecting him to be named but they will help.  After the war he became an electrician on the back of the training and what he did in the War.