Author Topic: Address confusion  (Read 715 times)

Offline TeddyP

• RootsChat Extra
  • Steve Williams
    • View Profile
Address confusion
« on: Thursday 15 February 18 16:12 GMT (UK) »
According to the death certificate of my GGM (Mary Matilda Collins 1875-1910), she and my GGF lived at 58 East Street in Walworth.  She died in 1910.  I've looked at the Electoral Roll for 1910 (and 1909) but the people shown living at 58 East Street have no link to my family.

In 1911, my GGF (John Joseph Stammers 1874-1968) is shown on the census as living at 36 Dartnell Road, Camberwell - he is also shown at Dartnell Road in the 1909 Electoral Roll, but not in 1910.

So I'm confused.  I would appreciate any help?

Thanks
Hickey - Co. Waterford, Boston, New York, Adelaide
Burke - Co. Waterford
Kipps - Bermondsey
Burnett - Bermondsey
Stammers - Bermondsey, Camberwell, Walworth,
Collins - Southwark, S. London
Munday - Camberwell, S. London
Colbert - Co. Waterford

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Address confusion
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 15 February 18 16:16 GMT (UK) »
Don't forget that most women did not get the vote at that time.  Qualifications for voting could mean that the person shown at the address was the owner of the property and not necessarily in occupation
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline california dreamin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Address confusion
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 15 February 18 17:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi Teddy

Yes, so much as rosie 99 has said.  The only people to be shown on the Electoral register will be those that have qualified to vote.  So, women did not get full 'enfranchisement' until 1928 therefore Mary will not be on the ER.  I see that John is a stable hand and therefore may not have qualified to vote in Parliamentary elections but possibly did qualify to vote in a Municipal election. Many working class men did not get full voting rights until 1918.

Also with regard to the address used on the m/c often people used the same address but they weren't living together, one may have lived in another parish and it would have cost more ££  to marry as bands would have to be read in both parishes.