Author Topic: Christina Littleson - Killean  (Read 2009 times)

Offline birdboot

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Christina Littleson - Killean
« on: Thursday 15 February 18 17:13 GMT (UK) »
I am searching for Christina Littleson and/or her family from around 1820 in Killean.

In 1851, she was a servant with George Lyall in Paisley.  Census said she was aged 30 and place of birth was indistinct, but was Argyll, K......  I am guessing Killean as there are other Littleson records there.  In 1841, she was a servant in Lochwinnoch.

She emigrated to Canada and in 1881 was living with George Lyall, aged 28.  George had married in 1878 in Canada and his parents were shown as George Lyall and Christina Lyall.  She died in 1886 in USA and death record gives her name as Christina Lyall (Littleson) born 1819.  It also gives her parents as Archibald Littleson and Mary.  Archibald said to come from Lebanon, Maine, but I have searched for Littlesons there and no trace of anyone of that name.

There is no baptism record for George Lyall in 1853 but DoB in naturalisation papers is 11 December 1853.  There is no marriage record for Christina Littleson and George Lyall senior and I suspect they never married (George senior died in December 1854).

I can not find Christina or her son George (who would be 7-8 yrs) in the 1861 census, nor any record of their immigration to Canada or USA.  In short - a substantial brick wall.  If anyone has any ideas, or more information, I would be very grateful.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Christina Littleson - Killean
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 15 February 18 18:03 GMT (UK) »
In 1841 she was in Lochwinnoch  Renfrewshire aged 20.  Shown as female and an agric labourer but indexed as Christian Littleson

ED 1 Line 4 Page 780

EDIT - sorry - just seen you already have her in 1841
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline birdboot

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Christina Littleson - Killean
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 15 February 18 19:03 GMT (UK) »
Forgot to mention, there is an Archibald Littleson shown on later censuses, born Killean about 1825, so I wonder if this is a brother, named after father.