Author Topic: Facebook notifications driving me mad.  (Read 2499 times)

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
Facebook notifications driving me mad.
« on: Thursday 15 February 18 18:49 GMT (UK) »
Notifications on Facebook are turned off yet nearly everyday I get a "New friend suggestion", most of them are people I've never heard of.  The odd thing is I'm only getting these suggestions sent to me on my mobile 'phone, they're not popping up on my laptop.  How can I stop these irritating messages?

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
Re: Facebook notifications driving me mad.
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 15 February 18 19:04 GMT (UK) »
Have you got Fluff Busting Purity installed? That allows you to filter FB as you want. I've used it for several years.

https://www.fbpurity.com/
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 15 February 18 19:50 GMT (UK) »
I have "you have 3 friend requests" emails on a regular basis.
They are NOT from facebook though, the email address has a funny slant on the 'i',  so its a phishing attempt.
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.

Offline Kiltpin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stand and be Counted
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 16 February 18 10:11 GMT (UK) »
When FaceBook "Suggest" a page to me, I always, without fail, report it for "inappropriate sexual content".

I do not filter - they all get reported. And then I click on the "Block Page" button.

A week ago last Monday was an all time high, 55 pages reported, but it seems to have worked because I have had no further Suggested pages.

Regards

Chas
Whannell - Eaton - Jackson
India - Scotland - Australia

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 16 February 18 12:29 GMT (UK) »
Thank you.

Facebook is not sending text though, just notifications if that makes sense.  The 'phone makes the sound of an text coming but I can't click on it and open it, nor does it show up anywhere. Once it's appeared and I open my 'phone, it disappears again after I've had time to see what it says, so I can't report it to anyone.

It only happens on my 'phone, not on my laptop.  I looked to see if I had Facebook installed but I haven't and in any case I don't open anything on my 'phone unless I know who has sent it - ie a family member.

groom - I'm not sure Fluff Busting Purity would help but I'll try it.

At least my query shows I'm not alone in having this problem.

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 16 February 18 13:43 GMT (UK) »
When FaceBook "Suggest" a page to me, I always, without fail, report it for "inappropriate sexual content".

I do not filter - they all get reported. And then I click on the "Block Page" button.

I always used to do that and they would stop for a while and then start again.  However, the other month they removed the option for me to do that and I just got "no options available". :-\  It has though appeared again so back to doing that.  I wouldn't mind if they didn't put them in the timeline but just up the side of it as used to happen, you could just ignore them a lot easier.  I know they have to make money as its free to use but as most are totally irrelevant it gets irritating. ::)
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 17 February 18 12:13 GMT (UK) »
I got two more notifications yesterday and one today, however, one was about a post one of my sons had made and the one today advised me that my youngest son had updated his profile.  They are not texts or emails, although they come from m.facebook.com which seems to be a message page but is part of Facebook.  If you just type m.facebook.com into your search engine you'll see what I mean, I didn't click on the message/notification itself.

Apparently the only way I can stop these notifications coming to my phone is if I go to Apps, then the Facebook app and click on Notifications.  The only problem is I don't have a Facebook app on my 'phone, so how are these messages coming to me?  When I looked at the Facebook page regarding notifications it just states that you can't turn them off but you can just select which notifications you want to get, and although I can click on PC and emails, I can't click on mobile 'phone as it's not highlighted.  >:(

Online RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 17 February 18 13:15 GMT (UK) »
Have you tried the suggestion from Facebook's help:

https://www.facebook.com/help/112320895539157?helpref=uf_permalink

Apparently the only way I can stop these notifications coming to my phone is if I go to Apps, then the Facebook app and click on Notifications.  The only problem is I don't have a Facebook app on my 'phone, so how are these messages coming to me?  When I looked at the Facebook page regarding notifications it just states that you can't turn them off but you can just select which notifications you want to get, and although I can click on PC and emails, I can't click on mobile 'phone as it's not highlighted.  >:(
You don't need a mobile or App to stop the notifications. Access your Facebook account by your usual method and go through settings, although at some point in the past you may have accidentally agreed to text messages but this can be turned off by the methods outlined above.

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 17 February 18 15:33 GMT (UK) »
Falkryn - the problem is they are not text messages.  They are just notifications that pop up, if I swipe right to get rid of them - they just seem to disappear, whereas if I've say got a map up and swipe right, there is an icon on the 'phone I can click on which shows all the stuff I've deleted in that way, but these messages are not there.  They're not in with any texts I've received.

Also despite the link you gave me and links from Facebook itself, when I click on icon in the top right hand corner of the Facebook page, there isn't anything called Settings.  I can get to Settings a different way but this is what I get regarding mobile 'phone. (see below)  If I click on Learn More, I get a similar page to the one you gave the link for - but it doesn't work.

Apparently what I'm complaining about are called Push Notifications - well I wish they would just push off.  It's annoying that they use the same sound as I've got programmed for text messages.  Every time my 'phone bleeps my OH brings the 'phone to me because he thinks I've got an important message!