Author Topic: History of a corporation  (Read 1190 times)

Offline BradMajors

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
History of a corporation
« on: Thursday 15 February 18 21:09 GMT (UK) »
My ancestry owned a corporation in England in the 1840's-1850's.  The corporation seems to have been of a pretty decent size owning multiple mills.  The corporation eventually seems to have gone bankrupt. 

Anyone know how to find the history / records of this corporation?

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: History of a corporation
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 15 February 18 21:13 GMT (UK) »
If it went bankrupt there may be a mention in the London Gazette. If you want more help why not give the name of the company if you have it?

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline BradMajors

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 15 February 18 21:44 GMT (UK) »
Corporate bankruptcy did not exist at this time.

Offline GrahamSimons

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 15 February 18 23:09 GMT (UK) »
British Newspaper Archive is a possible starting point.
Then (assuming your company was regional or local) try the local Archives Service / County Record Office / Local History Centre depending on what it's called locally.
If you are lucky enough to find that the company was taken over when it failed, then the purchaser company may still be in existence. Then you might get luckier still and find they have an archivist (I got that far in trying to chase a portrait but the company concerned couldn't trace it)
Simons Barrett Jaffray Waugh Langdale Heugh Meade Garnsey Evans Vazie Mountcure Glascodine Parish Peard Smart Dobbie Sinclair....
in Stirlingshire, Roxburghshire; Bucks; Devon; Somerset; Northumberland; Carmarthenshire; Glamorgan

Offline BradMajors

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 15 February 18 23:20 GMT (UK) »
All the information I have obtained so far has been through searches in the British Newspaper Archive.

Nothing shows up when I search for the company name in the County archives.

The corporation owned multiple mills and these mills did not disappear when the corporation went out of business.  However, I do not know the address, name, or what happened to these mills.

One clue is that one of the owners of the corporation was a manager of a local bank.  This bank might possibly have some records.  This bank failed and went out of business around the same time.

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 15 February 18 23:23 GMT (UK) »
What was the name of the company?
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 16 February 18 08:11 GMT (UK) »
I don't association the word "corporation" with mills in the early 19th century.   Could your mill owning ancestor have been involved in an early British "Co-operative"?
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke