Author Topic: baptism for Mally or Mary Smith c. 1759  (Read 608 times)

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
baptism for Mally or Mary Smith c. 1759
« on: Thursday 15 February 18 21:10 GMT (UK) »
I'm having another attempt at finding a birth/baptism for my 4xgt grandmother Mally or Mary Smith. Yes, it is a bit like locating the proverbial needle but here goes...

MALLY SMITH married John France in Almondbury 1781 - she was otp.

Their children in order:- John, Grace, William, Sarah, Martha, Jenny, Hannah, Joseph and Fanny. (only the last 2 have mother's name included in the baptism entry and in both cases it is MARY)

She died in 1837 (MARY FRANCE) when her age at death is given as 78, so birth year of c 1759.

I have discounted a 1759 baptism in Elland (Greetland) and a 1762 baptism in Kirkburton for two Mallys thanks to wills. I've had to start looking further afield, but not too far!

1. I've found a Molly Smith baptised in Dewsbury 11 May 1761 d/o John and wondered if anyone has access to the original or a digital copy to see if it is indeed Molly rather than Mally and if there is any further info.

2. There's a baptism in Warley/Luddenden for a Mary Smith 22 July 1759 d/o John. Again, has anyone got access to a digital copy?

3. Ditto for Mary Smith baptised 9 Sep 1759 in Birstall d/o John.

Any help would be great.
Jill

HELP!!!

BATHSHEBA BOOTHROYD bn c. 1802 W. Yorks.

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: baptism for Mally or Mary Smith c. 1759
« Reply #1 on: Friday 16 February 18 08:25 GMT (UK) »
Molly - image is definitely Molly

Luddenden - John Smith is a Comber of Warley

Birstall - John Smith is of Birstall
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 16 February 18 11:50 GMT (UK) »
Thanks a lot, BumbleB.

I think I can discount Molly in Dewsbury but not sure about the other two.

I've found a marriage of a John Smith and Grace Horsfield (its been transcribed as Morsfield but to me it reads 'Horsfield') in Halifax 16 Sep 1757. As the name Grace was given to Mary/Mally's first daughter, I'm wondering if these could be her parents and if the baptism in Luddenden (Warley) in 1759 might be them - or am I clutching at straws?? The two places are very close to each other.
HELP!!!

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 16 February 18 12:03 GMT (UK) »
From the list of parish registers at WYAS, St John, Warley did not come into being until 1876.  St Mary, Luddenden records appear from 1653, and the early records contain many instances of the parents being from Warley.  Midgley also features heavily in place of residence. 
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 16 February 18 12:13 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, BumbleB.

I shall have to search Luddenden PRs to try and identify what other children John & Grace might have had and see if the names have anything in common with the rest of Mally and John's children, though they are all pretty standard names for the time - with the possible exception of Jenny and Fanny.
HELP!!!