Author Topic: Bishopgate St Helens--Blase Saunders  (Read 490 times)

Offline Speedway ace

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Bishopgate St Helens--Blase Saunders
« on: Thursday 15 February 18 23:08 GMT (UK) »
Can anyone help?
St Helens Bishopgate.-- Blase Saunders and his wife Elizabeth were buried on 12th & 14 Oct 1581. both their wills are at the Nat Archives Prob.11.
I have read from a source (1904) that Blase had a memorial within the church, Description as, "his head to the feet of of John Wells" Merchant Taylor 1604. Does this memorial still exist? can someone throw some light on this? (perhaps it was just an inscribed burial floor slab)

He was related to the Saunders, Caves and Saxbys of Northamptonshire/Leicestershire.

many thanks, Nigel
Plankney, Copcott, Hampton, Crant, Johnson Baynham, Lyghtfote, Southwick, Legate and others in England & Calais (France)

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Bishopgate St Helens--Blase Saunders
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 15 February 18 23:56 GMT (UK) »
Looking at the Harleian Society edition of the register (perhaps your source of 1904?), I think the wording just serves to identify the location of John Wells’ grave.
https://archive.org/stream/registersofsthel31sthe#page/268/mode/2up

Is that the source you're referring to? Or do you have another that specifies there was/is a memorial?

Memorials in St Helens Bishopsgate were listed in 1924 in the Survey of London, but it’s not mentioned.
http://www.british-history.ac.uk/survey-london/vol9/pt1/pp52-79

Offline Speedway ace

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 16 February 18 08:50 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your reply. His will I believe asks for him to be buried within the church, so I suspect that there is no memorial as such but a floor slab covering his grave, no doubt inscribed. I wonder if it survives and is readable?

You are correct on the 1904 source
Plankney, Copcott, Hampton, Crant, Johnson Baynham, Lyghtfote, Southwick, Legate and others in England & Calais (France)

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 16 February 18 09:17 GMT (UK) »
Church Office contact details are on this page ...
http://www.st-helens.org.uk/about/contact-information

St Helen’s is a very large and busy church, serving an extensive area around Bishopsgate. Consequently, there are dozens of monuments and memorials, and many of the floor slabs will be obscured by furniture, carpeting etc.

None of the published material refers to an inscription for your man. So I suggest that first you find out from the church office whether anything does exist for him and, if so, its exact location in the church, and whether it is viewable. It may then be more realistic to ask if someone can visit for you.

Offline Speedway ace

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 16 February 18 13:21 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks for your help.

Nigel