Author Topic: Why Newcastle-upon-Tyne?  (Read 1643 times)

Offline Jardiner

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Why Newcastle-upon-Tyne?
« on: Friday 16 February 18 08:53 GMT (UK) »
I think I've posted this as a reply on an old posting so I'll make my apology in advance for any repetition.  As previously posted my Great Grandparents Michael A King & Margaret King were married in 1886 @ Bessbrook in Ireland. Later in that same year a son William was born (16/11/1886) but alas died 2 days later (18/11/1886). The strange thing is he was born at 122 Blenheim Street, Newcastle-upon-Tyne. Then in 1887 they are back in Ireland (Belfast) and there they remained till death.
Why were they there as neither appear to have any connection with the place? ( he was from Whitehaven and she from Ireland). I cannot find any street directories for that area so I don't know who was living there at the time. Can anyone help shine some light on this mystery?

MK

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Why Newcastle-upon-Tyne?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 16 February 18 08:58 GMT (UK) »
Is there a clue in Michael's occupation on the marriage and birth certificates?
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Jardiner

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 16 February 18 09:13 GMT (UK) »
Yes! he's listed as a Labourer in Elswick Works (I think that's what it says). I know people had to chase work and would certainly turn their hands at anything to make a living however, several months beforehand, on his wedding cert, he is an engineer ( fitter or other similar trades can be included). then in 1887, back in Belfast he is an engineer. I can't imagine he would travel over to Newcastle-upon-Tyne just for work as Belfast and surroundings were expanding at a great rate with plenty of work available, so something else, or somebody must have influenced him.

MK

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 16 February 18 09:41 GMT (UK) »
Yes! he's listed as a Labourer in Elswick Works (I think that's what it says).

Elswick Works were a major employer in Newcastle upon Tyne. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armstrong_Whitworth
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 16 February 18 10:33 GMT (UK) »
Presumably a case of "The grass is always greener"?

Tried Newcastle; lost a baby; lots of emotion there for husband and wife.
Maybe didn't like Newcastle as much as home? Or simply homesick?
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Jardiner

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 16 February 18 14:56 GMT (UK) »
Thanks all for the replies. I see what you are saying about being homesick but I have my doubts. Her family (known) had all left Ireland (father married and moved to Dundee as did her sister). It's a similar situation for him (father and mother dead, siblings scattered all over the place including the USA),in fact I would have thought being back in mainland UK would have been more suited to him (Whitehaven). Bringing that scenario up to date my own father moved about, albeit, within Ireland and I too have moved on many occasions and never felt homesick. I still feel some member of the family, on either side, has enticed them over. (something that may help- Her maiden name was Edgar and her mother's was Rowan with her mother's being Geddes.

MK

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 16 February 18 15:46 GMT (UK) »
From the for sale notices in the Newcastle Courant - Friday 16 December 1881

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 16 February 18 16:35 GMT (UK) »
In Ward's Directory of Newcastle-on-Tyne, 1890, 122 Blenheim Street is listed as "Mrs. J.A. Hunter, Lodgings"

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk