Author Topic: Boyes brothers from Yorkshire to Victoria in gold rush  (Read 3308 times)

Offline RayK

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Boyes brothers from Yorkshire to Victoria in gold rush
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 20 February 18 17:22 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for rest of suggestions. Date and location of mining shares are wrong for my relative. I wondered if there were more Boyes people across Victoria. Again thanks for those others in North Riding. The Boyes branches were prolific, I think not closely related. Talking of branches, the well known company of Boyes hardware and household goods stores are closish relatives

Offline MarionG

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 23 February 18 02:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ray, I just saw your post about the Boyes brothers. Thomas Boyes was my GG Grandfather. He came to Melbourne around 1854, worked in the goldfields then settled in Wodonga, North East Victoria. Later he and his wife Maria (McLaughlin) bought the Rising Sun Hotel in Wooragee. His brother John also settled in that area. Thomas had a son, John and a daughter. Eliza (my G Grandmother). We don't know anything about their life in Yorkshire so we would love any information you could provide. Marion

Offline RayK

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 23 February 18 13:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi, Marion,
Many thanks for this. Your details are the same as a newspaper obit someone kindly sent me. Yes, I can provide a lot about the family and where they lived in Yorkshire. If I remember rightly, My gt grandmother, Harriet Boyes, was a neice of Thomas. Three of her grandchildren, my aunt and two uncles (with their families) followed on to Australia with the cheap passages of the 1950s. If you have anything more of a family tree starting with Thomas' two children I would be interested.
Ray

Offline MarionG

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 25 February 18 04:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ray,
Firstly Alfred (Alf) was a son of John Boyes. I think he introduced my grandparents. Thomas was a grazier and he and his wife, Maria ran the Rising Sun Hotel in Wooragee which is between Beechworth and Wodonga. He then moved to Middle Creek, Leneva.

He and Maria had a daughter Jane Eliza who was born in 1866 at Wooragee and a son John Thomas who was born around 1879. John did not have children.
Jane married William Brewer also from Wooragee in 1898. They had 3 daughters.
Marie Frances (Francie) B 1899. She married Russell Drummond and they had two girls. Francie died in 1974.
May B 1901. She married George Thomas Patton of Bowmans Forest in 1926. They had three daughters (My mother is the eldest) and one son. George died in 1973 and May died in 1986.
Alice Eileen B 1906 Alice never married. She died around 1987.

Ray I hope this gives you some information.
Was your G Grandmother Harriet, the daughter of a brother who stayed in England?
Do you have information of John & Thomas's siblings and parents? We have them as John Boyes born in 1804 at Baraugh, Yorkshire, England and Sarah (Jane) Humphrey/Humphries born in 1811 in Winchester, Hampshire, England. Is this correct? Do you go any further back?
Cheers
Marion

Offline RayK

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 26 February 18 20:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi, Marion, First to say I will also send you a private message as I am just practising and seeing how this will work. I can put more detail on there, relative to our joined family. Great to find a new distant relative. (To all other readers, it's great what can come out of Rootschat.) Generally, first, I am writing a short book about the lives of Christopher Long and Harriet Boyes, who were married in York. It is the filling out of family background and local history that makes for fascinating reading. Harriet's parents were Phineas Boyes and Elizabeth Benson. They probably met in York.. The relationship with Thomas might have been a little more complicated than direct cousins; I'm working on that, but they all came from Wombleton in the parish of Kirkdale. North country parishes were often large and contained more than one village, Wombleton is still very small. Baptismal records are under Kirkdale.
Thomas and John were both baptised at Kirkdale and were referred to as residents of Wombleton and so was Sarah, John's wife whom he brought to Victoria after returning to England. Her parents were George and Ann Cooper and he was a blacksmith. There are several misreadings being passed around as to who was Sarah but Sarah Cooper was a common name and if a relative turns up on the very edge of some family tree on Ancestry it is sometimes not well researched. Be sure, I have copies of their baptismal records.
Thanks for the details of Thomas' wife and children. I will add those to my records. I will send a family tree in a personal reply. It may be quite a few days, I have a busy week
Best wishes,
Ray

Offline MarionG

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 27 February 18 06:53 GMT (UK) »
Ray, Good Luck with the book. I have spoken to Mum & she told me that the son of Thomas Boyes and Maria Mclaughlin, John Thomas Boyes did marry Ethel Anne McGaffin in 1916. But we don't think they had any children. You have inspired me to continue with my searching. Marion

Offline RayK

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 15 March 18 19:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi Marion, It's been a while- I wanted to be really sure of the relationships but here is the immediate family tree. I can send dates later if you want them. Thomas was born 1829, mother Fanny b. 1794. She was unmarried. Her parents were George Boyes and Jane Martin. George's parents were Thomas B and Jane Wrighton, Thomas's parents Thomas B and Elizabeth Sunley. Fanny had a brother Phineas, my 3X gt grandfather. He married Mary Hornby. They had John and Phineas. The second Ph married Elizabeth Benson. They had Harriet Ann.
So if you do a chart you see clearly John and Thomas were cousins. Thomas was taken in by John's parents, hence they were "brothers"
Harriet married Christopher Long and they are the focal point of my writing. When she became pregnant they tried to run away secretly to Australia, I guess to join Th and J. They turned back, she probably would find the 6 week journey too much. That this was a family story probably led to 3 of my mother's siblings taking the cheep passages to Australia in the 1950s.
I will send more, Ray

Offline MarionG

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 16 March 18 22:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ray, thanks for the information - very interesting. I will have to do some more searching as on Thomas's marriage and death certificates his mother is Jane Humphry and his father John (marriage certificate) or Thomas Boyes (death certificate). I am opting for John as Thomas was the one who provided the details for the marriage but his son in law provided it for the death certificate. I am wondering if we are talking about different Thomas Boyes (there were certainly lots of them around that time)
Who do you have as John's parents?
Always a challenge!
Regards Marion

Offline RayK

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 25 March 18 20:07 BST (UK) »
Hi marion, thanks again.
Sorry to keep you waiting, been very busy and also needed to check thoroughly.John B. and Jane Humphrey md by license 21st April 1827. There is a Thomas born to John B. and Jane 25th Aug 1827 (too early?), not convinced a good match with age on obituary. There are 2 possibilities for parents of John, I just assumed father was Phineas, didn't know about stated parents on his marriage cert. It might help who John said his parents were when he married, that is English and would only give the father.Still thinking Fanny was Thomas' mother but those who raised him could be Phineas and Mary or John and Jane.
Have you come across a book called "Violet Grange, Leneva and Some Memories by Peg and Frank Boyes. I wonder if this shows some of John's family.
Thanks again for help, Ray