Author Topic: Descendants of James Copeland Elliott  (Read 1933 times)

Offline kennbk

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Descendants of James Copeland Elliott
« on: Friday 16 February 18 21:08 GMT (UK) »
   I am trying to find someone in the McCrea, Tummons, Quinn or Chase families (there are no Elliotts as he had no sons), or their descendants, who, through their family histories, might know the circumstances by which my grandfather, Albert W. Baker, an immigrant arriving in Toronto in 1904 to be placed at a farm in the provinces by the Farm Labor Bureau, was sent directly to Mr. Elliott’s farm in Tweed.
  I would most gratefully appreciate a response.

(Note: I posted a similar request in mid-2017 but I had no descendants names. I think it is time to try again.)

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Descendants of James Copeland Elliott
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 17 February 18 07:26 GMT (UK) »
Your Grandfather wasn't sent to Elliott's he applied and got the job there.

The Farm Labour Bureau was nothing more than an early 20th Century employment agency. Jobs were posted and people applied.  In the UK these jobs were posted by Commissioned Agents.

Read the Origins of the Employment Services of Canada 1900-1920 its online.

Don
I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.

Offline kennbk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 17 February 18 15:54 GMT (UK) »
Don, thank you very much for your reply and explaining the function of the Farm Labor Bureau (Labor reports state immigrants “placed” in the provinces...an ambiguous term that had me seeing a shipload of immigrants arriving in Toronto and someone in charge has a list of farms and he points to a man and says you’re going here and another you’re going there and to my grandfather you’re going to  James Elliott’s farm in Tweed).
  I have more questions like the flyers and other propaganda that was so effective in convincing my grandfather to go to Canada (it was so persuasive that he left his wife and two very young children behind in taking such a risk). Living/working conditions in Kent County must have been deplorable in the early 1900s.
   and more..

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 17 February 18 17:28 GMT (UK) »
Did your Albert marry Frances Pilcher?  If so I think you will find that he emigrated in 1906 and she and two sons joined him later in the year.  A normal pattern for the head of the household to go over first and secure employment and a place to reside. 

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 17 February 18 18:10 GMT (UK) »
Kent County?  He was 300+ miles NE of Kent County.  The area your grandfather took work was Hungerford Township in Hastings County and by the time he set foot on the soil it had been settled for at least 200 years.

https://digital.library.mcgill.ca/countyatlas/Images/Maps/TownshipMaps/has-m-hungerford.jpg  Look at the bottom there is a William Elliott with several farms maybe this is him.

It was hardly deplorable; deplorable if your grandfather emigrated to the prairies and found himself living in a tent or mud hut during the winter.

Don
I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.

Offline kennbk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 17 February 18 18:30 GMT (UK) »
   Hi Cosmac. Yes he married Frances in Jan 1902 and then decides to check Canada out in Aug 1904 for the advantages it has over (apparently) the dismal
conditions in Kent County (at least in his case)
   He did return in 1906 as you said and then Frances and the two boys departed Liverpool in late May 1906 for Canada and went directly to Tweed.
   My thoughts (please comment if you like):
   He had to satisfy Mr. Elliott that he could do the job and was of suitable moral character to be hired by him.
  He had to stay on the farm for two years to earn enough wages to find a place for his family—pay rent in advance or something like that.
   He had to save enough money to pay for his over-and-back voyage and Frances’ voyage with the boys in 1906.
   I just don’t see that. He was a farm laborer, probably earning at the most $1 a day.
   Somebody (Mr. Elliott?) or some organization (CA and/or UK Immigration Departments?) had to have helped him.
   Thank you for your post.

Offline kennbk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 17 February 18 18:57 GMT (UK) »
Oh my I’m getting out of order here.  This is for DonM.
   Is there a Kent County in Ontario? In Canada? I am referring to Kent County England where my grandfather was born in 1874 (Milsted) and lived until he emigrated to Tweed, Ontario in 1904.
  Thank you for the Elliott link. I will look at it now.

Offline kennbk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 17 February 18 19:46 GMT (UK) »
DonM,
  That map is fantastic! Never seen it before. I can’t find the date. Maybe I missed it.  Can we find out?
   Six Elliott farms, two belonging to Wm., one to
Jas (James?). James C. Elliott is the farm where my GF went. I didn’t know there were so many other Elliotts with farms there. Maybe one or two generations. I will have to go back in his family tree now (or try to) to connect them together.
  I even saw a Finley farm. That was his wife’s maiden name. Elizabeth Finley.
   Thank you.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 17 February 18 20:04 GMT (UK) »
Lots of details posted on the previous thread may be useful and save others from searching for the same details-
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=774178.msg6274483#msg6274483
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!