Author Topic: Hartwood Asylum  (Read 2074 times)

Offline PCanuck

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hartwood Asylum
« on: Saturday 17 February 18 03:36 GMT (UK) »
I have a record showing my great grandfather died in Hartwood Asylum in 1904, However I can't find a record of his death on Scotland's people.  Is there a record of deaths at Hartwood that is accessible?

I have looked at some previous posts on this topic but didnt find what I was looking for.

Thanks for any help
Gillan, Kennedy

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Hartwood Asylum
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 17 February 18 07:18 GMT (UK) »
Could you give us his name so we can have a look for records?

Offline Rockford

• RootsChat Senior
  • The Ancestral Home!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 17 February 18 11:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Even if he died in Hartwood, he should still be listed on ScotlandsPeople as his death would still need to be legally registered.  My 2x great grandfather died in Hartwood in 1911, but his death was still formally registered at Shotts and a record is available on SP.

If you haven't found him on SP and haven't seen any records from Hartwood, what record do you have that confirms he died in Hartwood in 1904?  It could be that he has been incorrectly indexed on SP or the date on the record you have could have been incorrect.

As Chempat has suggested, having his name would help as we can all help you have a look for him.

Best wishes

Rockford
BURNSIDE [Londonderry, Lothians and Pennsylvania]
THORBURN [Lanarkshire], VAIR [Melrose]
SWEENEY [Donegal/Lanarkshire]
GILCHRIST [Lanarkshire, Peebles, Lothians], SMITH [Dunbartonshire, Lanarkshire, Lothians]
GREGORY [Bucks, Wales], BENNETT [Somerset, Wales]
LETHERBY/HOWLETT/PHIPPS [Somerset]
HUNTER [New Monkland, Fife], GWYNNE [New Monkland, Stirling, Midlothian]
LOGIE/DUNLOP/THOMSON/YOUNG [West Lothian]

Offline PCanuck

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 17 February 18 18:17 GMT (UK) »
His Name was John Kennedy and the record I have is from a poor relief record for my Grandmother in 1909 at Govan.  It doesn't say his name specifically, just "the pauper's mothers husband died in Hartwood Asylum 16/8/1904."  The Govan record also included a death certificate copy for my great grandmother which I believe is actually for another person with a similar name.  Her husband was a Patrick Kennedy (although I have been told that sometimes the person filling out the death record didnt have all the correct personal details).  I have searched SP for a Patrick Kennedy AND John Kennedy but neither name showed death in Shotts, which is where I understand the Asylum was located? In the 1891 Census his birth year shows as about 1842, the 1881 census shows birth as about 1846. Marriage record shows he was 30 in 1873 so I assume the 1842 date is most correct and that the other Census record may just be a mis-read from the handwritten original.

Other parts of the Govan record refer to him as John, which is what I have for him in the 1881-1891 Census'. When my grandmother married in 1912 she listed her father as John and that he was deceased, as was her mother.

Thank you
Gillan, Kennedy

Offline Rockford

• RootsChat Senior
  • The Ancestral Home!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 17 February 18 18:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi

On the basis that information in poor records can often be a bit out, as it often relies on people's memory, I looked on SP for a John Kennedy dying anywhere in Lanarkshire between 1900 and 1909.

John Kennedy, widower of Mary Gallacher, died aged 63 in Hartwood on 16 August 1907.  registered in Shotts (Middle District)

I will send you the details by PM.

Best wishes

Rockford
BURNSIDE [Londonderry, Lothians and Pennsylvania]
THORBURN [Lanarkshire], VAIR [Melrose]
SWEENEY [Donegal/Lanarkshire]
GILCHRIST [Lanarkshire, Peebles, Lothians], SMITH [Dunbartonshire, Lanarkshire, Lothians]
GREGORY [Bucks, Wales], BENNETT [Somerset, Wales]
LETHERBY/HOWLETT/PHIPPS [Somerset]
HUNTER [New Monkland, Fife], GWYNNE [New Monkland, Stirling, Midlothian]
LOGIE/DUNLOP/THOMSON/YOUNG [West Lothian]

Offline Magiccat1978

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 20 February 18 10:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi
The records for Heartwood Hospital/Asylum were available through the North Lanarkshire Council archive located in Motherwell Heritage Center a few years ago, I would think they still have them. Might be worth contacting them to see if they can help you.
Hope this helps.

Laura  :)
Greenock-Williamson,Guthrie,McIlhagga,Morris,McPherson
Lanarkshire-Reid,Bennett/Bennard,Stewart, Miller,Brown,Jamieson,McGregor,Davidson, Paterson,Anderson,Allister,Renwick,Shearer.
Stirling-Guthrie,Coutts.
Montrose-Guthrie,Brown,
Arbroath-Smith,Adam,Garland,Esplin,Davdison, Fender,Moncur
AyrshireRankin,McDickens,Bennard/Bennett,Carrick,Russell.
Ireland-Williamson,Galbraith,McIlhagga,Adrain. Bennard.
Fife-Brown,Williamson
Whitburn-Brown,Smart,Martin
Staffordshire-Abbiss,Oakley,Morris,Southall