Author Topic: James Reid & Isabel Taylor's parents & missing children's births in Grange  (Read 1970 times)

Offline Langford

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
James Reid & Isabel Taylor's parents & missing children's births in Grange
« on: Saturday 17 February 18 04:05 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for the births of 2 other children and the parents of James Reid and Isobel Taylor.

Circa 1787, James Reid born in Scotland

What I know from the OPR:

2 June 1808, James Reid married Isobel Taylor in Grange, Banffshire, Scotland

25 March 1811, Ann Reid christened to James Reid and Isobel Taylor in Bracobrae, Grange, Banffshire, Scotland. Witnesses: George Murray and James Riddock[h]

18 Nov 1812, Isobel Reid christened to James Reid and Isobel Taylor in Bracobrae, Grange, Banffshire, Scotland. Witnesses William Gordon and James Allan.

Canadian Records show:

1815, James Reid, age 28, married with 4 children emigrate from “Great Britain” (Scotland)

1816, James Reid residing at Mt. Thom, Pictou County, Nova Scotia, Canada, a labourer, poor but industrious

I would like to find the other 2 children of James Reid and Isobel Taylor as well as James and Isobel's parents. Any resources regarding Bracobrae would be appreciated. I am visiting Scotland for the first time in August 2018 and plan on visiting Bracobrae. Was there just one Church in the Parish of Grange in 1808-to 1815? Is it still standing and how far is it from Bracobrae?
Many thanks.

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: James Reid & Isabel Taylor's parents & missing children's births in Grange
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 17 February 18 04:19 GMT (UK) »
There was just the one church in the parish of Grange, although most children were actually baptised at home, which was quite usual in Scotland. It was the same with marriages.  Bracobrae was an area of the parish with a number of families living there.

I am wondering how you know that the Reids you have in Canada are these ones from Grange, and not from another area of Scotland?

Online trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 17 February 18 05:19 GMT (UK) »
FreeREG has quite a lot of Grange records. The Marriage and the 2 childrens baptisms are on there but no other children noted.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline Langford

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 17 February 18 05:54 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Trish, I am trying to do as much prep work as I can before I actually get to Scotland.

Offline Langford

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 17 February 18 06:43 GMT (UK) »
Thanks GR2

Pictou County Deaths, Quarterly Returns for West River, RG 32, Vol 69, No 82.  Microfilm 15897
states: Margaret Reid Cameron, born in Mt. Thom, dies in Mt, Thom, age 55; parents are listed as James REID and Isabel TAYLOR of Mt. Thom.This is the only record I have that states Isabel/Isobel's last name.
I do have deeds, release of dower records and letter of administration [death of their son George] for James and Isobel Reid in Mount Thom.

On 30 Dec 1841 Isabella Taylor Cameron is baptized, parents of George William Cameron and Anne Reid.   [naming pattern – first daughter named after maternal grandmother]

2 Apr 1871,  1871 Canadian Census, Roll-C10559, Nova Scotia, Pictou County, Mt. Thom. Page 1, Family 4
James Reid, widow, age 88, born in Scotland, “Pauper,” living with daughter Margaret and Hugh Cameron2

I do not have death records for James and Isobel though.

I went through all the OPR records to ensure James Reid and Isobel Taylor did not have children after 1815. (year they arrived in Canada]

Do you think, based on the above, that I have the correct couple?

I am coming from Canada to search the Kirk Records for more information so would sincerely appreciate your opinion.

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 17 February 18 09:41 GMT (UK) »
I am visiting Scotland for the first time in August 2018 and plan on visiting Bracobrae. Was there just one Church in the Parish of Grange in 1808-to 1815?
Yes, as far as I am aware.

Is it still standing
Yes.

and how far is it from Bracobrae?
Two or three miles, depending which part of Bracobrae you start from and how you get there.

Grange Parish Kirk http://www.geograph.org.uk/gridref/NJ4851
Bracobrae http://www.geograph.org.uk/gridref/NJ5052 and
http://www.geograph.org.uk/browse.php?p=768044
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 17 February 18 10:06 GMT (UK) »
Why do you think the other two children were born in Grange? Do you know the names of the missing children?

The 1871 census says that Margaret was 48, and born in Nova Scotia. If her age is accurate she was born after 1816, so she is not one of the 4 children mentioned in 1816.

Also, have you found son George in a census? Where does it say he was born? What age was he?

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline warble

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 17 February 18 22:11 GMT (UK) »
There was also a United Free Church at Grange at Whitehill. It is now a house. The Reverend John Primrose, the Secession Minister at Grange had relatives in Pictou, Nova Scotia and that may account for other Grange natives emigrating there. See:- http://www.rothi.co.uk/primrose.html

Offline Langford

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 18 February 18 02:56 GMT (UK) »
Why do you think the other two children were born in Grange? Do you know the names of the missing children?
I am wondering if 2 other children were born in Grange or perhaps she was with child on the trip over because "James Reid, age 28, married, number of children 4, Trade Labourer, Mt Thom, poor but industrious - source  Immigration to and Emigration from Nova Scotia, “A List of Emigrants from Gt. Britain in 1815 now settled or residing with the District of Pictou.” Published copy at PANA MG-100, Vol. 207, No 24a.
I do not know the names of the missing children and I do not have proof of the names of any other children born in Nova Scotia. The Pictou Advocate newspaper of 3 Dec 1920 -had a series of Farms and Farmers of Pictou County that said "...James Reid...had a family of James, who settled on this property, John, went to States where he died, Isabella married and died in Ohio, Mary Ann married to John Brown Stillman, Margaret married Hugh Cameron, Mr. Thom. James married Margaret Cameron". It doesn't mention George. I have not found birth, marriage or death records for James or John that state their parent's names. Is Mary Ann the Ann that was born in Grange? Is Isabella the Isobel born in Grange? I do not know.

The 1871 census says that Margaret was 48, and born in Nova Scotia. If her age is accurate she was born after 1816, so she is not one of the 4 children mentioned in 1816.

Also, have you found son George in a census? Where does it say he was born? What age was he?
George is my 3rd great grandfather, I do not have certificates of birth or death but his gravestone reads "George Reid died Dec 11, 1857 age 37 years - , Caledonia Cemetery "K5". Margaret Reid [Cameron], his sister, is also in section "K5". So that would make George Reid's birth 1920 in Nova Scotia. I have a Letter of Administration that James Reid signed in Dec 15, 1857 as father of George Reid "That the said deceased left four children all of whom are minors with eldest not exceeding Eleven years of age and that the said deceased left no widow.[Catherine Hattie died in 1854]
I have the marriage bond between George Reid and Catherine Hattie but no ages given.
The 1851 census of Mount Thom shows a George Reid, 2M, 1F (under 10) 1M, 1F (30-40) Births Preceding Year: 1 and that fits with the ages of George's children.
I also have a “Release of Dower” document where Isabella Reid releases to her son George Reid. Release of Dower, Isabella Reid to George Reid, 7 March 1844, Book 28, Page 215-217, Justice Building, Registry of Deeds, Pictou, NS

I am confident that my George Reid’s parents were James and Isabella/Isobel Reid due to legal documents and that Margaret Reid was George’s sister due to her parent’s names given on her death record. Do you think that is sufficient information?

Upon reading this over though, I need to re-do my research on the children of James Reid given in the Pictou Advocate as a number of years have passed since I last looked.

Thanks for the questions.