Author Topic: Highgate cemetery. Not much change out of £10 at DeceasedOnline.  (Read 1163 times)

Offline hurworth

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Highgate cemetery. Not much change out of £10 at DeceasedOnline.
« on: Saturday 17 February 18 06:11 GMT (UK) »
£5 for a map of where just ONE grave is?  If they're going to charge EVERY STEP OF THE WAY then I think it should be obvious from the burial register scan or Grave details whether it's the east or west cemetery, and they should split the records accordingly.

Fortunately there's six family members in the one plot.  I don't think I'd fork out £5 each.

Offline melba_schmelba

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Highgate cemetery. Not much change out of £10 at DeceasedOnline.
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 13 June 21 17:26 BST (UK) »
£5 for a map of where just ONE grave is?  If they're going to charge EVERY STEP OF THE WAY then I think it should be obvious from the burial register scan or Grave details whether it's the east or west cemetery, and they should split the records accordingly.

Fortunately there's six family members in the one plot.  I don't think I'd fork out £5 each.
It does seem a bit steep, but I have paid. However it does seem, that according to the rules you are not allowed to step off the paths, so unless the grave you are interested in is next to a path, that's not going to help much unless you fancy getting accosted by a Highgate park warden :o. But of course, you can't find that out unless you pay ::). The western cemetery having much older memorials, it would seem much more hazardous to stray from the paths, but the east looks far neater and navigable. Does anyone have any experience of visiting graves at Highgate? If it seems particularly hazardous getting to a grave, apparently they charge you £40 for a photo, which does admittedly include a guided tour to the grave for several people (if you can get there in person).

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 15 June 21 22:44 BST (UK) »
The cost of a burial plot at Highgate Cemetery (prices from 2017) is £18,325. £16,475 for the plot and £1,850 for digging. The most expensive in London  :o www.theguardian.com/money/2017/may/12/cheapest-most-expensive-places-to-die-burial-cremation-fees

Monica

Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 15 June 21 23:06 BST (UK) »
Rather than pay £5 to Deceased online, you could pay £40 to the cemetery itself!

https://highgatecemetery.org/visit/searches
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Chris Doran

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 16 June 21 03:04 BST (UK) »
Does the £5 map give you the exact position of the grave? I often get people sending me maps, which I think came from Deceasedonline, "to help you find the grave", but they turn out to just show where the section is. Nicely drawn, but no more information than is available for free for most cemeteries online, at the gate, or as a handout from the office. Also not much help when the graves aren't in order, i.e. 12345 isn't necessarily anywhere near 12344 or 12346.

I don't think the transcribers at Deceasedonline (or Ancestry) are briefed as to what information is required to find a grave. Omitting East/West is typical, as is failing to realise that sections X-cons and X-gen are in different places, and not being awake to cemetery clerks putting things in different orders or the wrong columns.

That said, it's a sterling effort and often cheaper than what many offices charge (if they'll do a lookup at all). But think carefully, or ask here, whether you really need to buy the map, or even the register scan.
Researching Penge, Anerley, (incuding the Crystal Palace) and neighbouring parts of Beckenham, currently in London (Bromley), formerly Surrey and/or Kent.

Offline melba_schmelba

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 16 June 21 11:13 BST (UK) »
Does the £5 map give you the exact position of the grave? I often get people sending me maps, which I think came from Deceasedonline, "to help you find the grave", but they turn out to just show where the section is. Nicely drawn, but no more information than is available for free for most cemeteries online, at the gate, or as a handout from the office. Also not much help when the graves aren't in order, i.e. 12345 isn't necessarily anywhere near 12344 or 12346.
The Highgate Cemetery maps include three levels of zoom - first shows the entire layout of East and West, the second shows a medium level zoom, with a box in the centre and then the grave position shaded in red, and there is a higher zoom showing things in more detail. I think the transcription text identifies if it is west or east (the square number is on the burial register, and the image shows which square numbers are in which side).

Offline Glen in Tinsel Kni

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Scottish Borders
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 06 July 21 20:06 BST (UK) »
I often get people sending me maps, which I think came from Deceasedonline, "to help you find the grave",

I'm in a few groups and point out a map is usually nothing more than the layout and rarely show individual plots and without a plot number are as much use as a parcel with no address. The question still comes up several times a day though, often for the same cemeteries. There seems to be a misconception that cemeteries are laid out uniformly with precisely placed plots. Some making requests are even complaining volunteers haven't trimmed the grass and such before taking a picture. I really despair with some people at times.