Author Topic: William Turpin, White-le-Head  (Read 909 times)

Offline Elliven

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William Turpin, White-le-Head
« on: Saturday 17 February 18 13:42 GMT (UK) »
This man was a miner and an innkeeper at the Waggon Inn, White-le-Head, born about 1863 and is shown as such on the 1901 census but his bankruptcy proceedings were completed in that year and they give his address as Todds Houses, Dipton (the adjoining village) in 1901.  I know he had an 8 year old son at the time but I have been able to find nothing else about him.  Does anyone have any information about a Turpin family in the area at around that time.

I have not been able to find anyone in the village who has any idea where Todds Houses were but they are certainly no longer there - unless the street name has changed.  However I believe they have been demolished as the village was subject to large scale demolition in the 1950s and 1960s.

Offline JJen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: William Turpin, White-le-Head
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 17 February 18 14:01 GMT (UK) »
Would this be the man? -

1901 -

William Turpin   38 b. White le Head, Durham Coal Miner (hewer)
Annie I Turpin   33
William C Turpin   8
Annie J Turpin   7
George A Turpin   5
Edith Turpin   3
Charles B Turpin   1

RG13 Piece 4666 Folio 190 Page 39 16 Old Rows, Dipton

If not the correct man can you post the 1901 that you refer to please.

JJ

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 17 February 18 14:10 GMT (UK) »
You can see  Todd's Building, Dipton,  on this 1961 map https://www.old-maps.co.uk/#/Map/415933/554246/12/100954

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Elliven

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 17 February 18 14:19 GMT (UK) »
Thank you JJen,

This is definitely the right man.  The census information was given to me by someone else and it appears to be wrong.  However, it is quite possible that Todd's Building was part of Old Rows - which have been demolished as I previously mentioned.

Elliven

Offline Elliven

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 17 February 18 14:58 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Stan,

The building you have found is still there!  Better still, it is in easy walking distance from where I live so I can go and take a look for myself.  This must have been a temporary address whilst he was going through the bankruptcy as it is definitely not the Old Rows that JJen mentioned - but it is very close to them.

Elliven

Offline Elliven

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 18 February 18 20:23 GMT (UK) »
By 1911 he had nine children and he died the following year aged 49, leaving his wife to cope alone with all of those children.

To JJen the address you gave me later changed as the street was renamed Annfield Street but the house number remained the same.  These were primitive and very basic houses but some were bigger than others and, with the extra children, he got a move to No 10 which was one of the bigger ones.  For being primitive, they seem to have been well loved.  There are still people in the village who lived in them until they were demolished in the 1960s.

To Stan, the building you found was the correct one and it is there "hidden in plain sight" but you would never notice it in passeing because it is at right angles to the road and tucked onto the further end of the street, masked by the bulk of the other buildings.  In 32 years living in this (admittedly large) village, I had never before seen Todd's Buildings.

Many thanks to  you both
Elliven

Offline McTalbert

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 19 February 18 09:33 GMT (UK) »
This is all I can find on the Turpin's:

COLLIERLEY ST. THOMAS PARISH CHURCH Transcript of Marriage Registers (1842-1950)

Date of
Marriage    Name    Surname    Age    Rank or
Profession        Residence at Time
of Marriage   Father    Rank or
Profession
of Father    Spouse
21-Jul-1886    William    TURPIN    24    Ba.    Agent    Dipton    William TURPIN    Miner    Annie Jane THORNTON

COLLIERLEY ST. THOMAS PARISH CHURCH Transcript of Baptism Registers (1841-1908)

When
Baptised    Child's Christian
Name    Parents    Surname    Abode    Occupation,
Trade or
Profession
3-Aug-1862    William    William and Ann    TURPIN    Whiteley Head Blue Row    Miner
15-Aug-1869    Sarah    William and Elizabeth    TURPIN    Dipton    Miner
23-Oct-1871    Elenor    William and Elizabeth    TURPIN    Dipton    Miner
8-Apr-1874    Elizabeth    William and Elizabeth    TURPIN    Belleview    Miner
1-Nov-1876    Nicholas    William and Elizabeth    TURPIN    Belle View    Miner
24-Sep-1879    Thomas    William and Elizabeth    TURPIN    Dipton    Miner
30-Aug-1882    Ann    William and Elizabeth    TURPIN    Dipton    Miner

COLLIERLEY ST. THOMAS PARISH CHURCH Transcript of Burial Registers (1841 to 1949)

Forename    Surname    Abode    When Buried    Age

Mary Ann    TURPIN    Whiteley Head    6-Aug-1861    4 years

HISTORY OF THE PARISH OF DIPTON By J.W. FAWCETT (1911)

April 12th – Died at Todd’s Buildings, Dipton, aged 76, Ann, widow of William Turpin.

McTalbert

Offline Elliven

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 19 February 18 12:49 GMT (UK) »
Hello McTalbert,

Thank you for this information which is most helpful.  The very last line tells me an awful lot.  The William Turpin I am investigating is clearly the son of William and Ann and the mention of her explains the connection with Todd's Buildings.  The family ultimately found a place to live (and expand) in Old Rows which became Annfield Street but William had recently become bankrupt as a publican and the bankruptcy papers gave his address as Todd's Buildings so he had obviously moved in with his mother as a temporary measure.

Whilst he was running the pub, he maintained his job as a miner - which explains how he eventually became re-housed in Old Rows which belonged to the Colliery.  He died at age 49 but I have yet to find the cause which could have been natural or an accident in the pit.

Thanks again,
Elliven

Offline McTalbert

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 20 February 18 08:08 GMT (UK) »
The book I quoted from was published in 1911, just before William's death in that year.

I have checked the excellent Durham Mining Museum website and William is not listed as a 'pit' casualty. The Mining Museum's list of casualties is not necessarily comprehensive however.

If you live in the Dipton area you can check the Dipton St. James parish registers in Annfield Plain library.

McTalbert