Author Topic: 17th century Latin apprenticeship document  (Read 731 times)

Online arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
17th century Latin apprenticeship document
« on: Saturday 17 February 18 15:52 GMT (UK) »
Please can anyone help with deciphering the gist of the document below? It's written on the reverse of an apprenticeship indenture dated June 1686, from the City of London freedom papers.

The apprentice was a William Lawrence, and the master was Aron Lambe, citizen and tobacco pipemaker. The memorandum on the reverse is missing the date and month, but the year appears to be 5 William and Mary (ie between 13 Feb 1692/93 and 12 Feb 1693/94).

I think possibly the apprentice is being turned over to a new master, but if so, who?
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 17th century Latin apprenticeship document
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 17 February 18 19:36 GMT (UK) »
After quite a lot of agonising over this, I think you’re right.  :)

The preamble at the top runs to the beginning of line 3. Then the gist is ...

... at a court held before the Mayor and Aldermen in the Chamber of Guildhall of the City of London, then and there, it was adjudged at this same court that the apprentice named within be discharged from his master (also named within) in respect of his apprenticeship, because the apprentice had not been enrolled by the master, and that he should be turned over to another Freeman of the City carrying out the art of a master pipemaker within the same City, for the remainder of the term of the apprenticeship ... (etc.)

The wording at the end seems to be largely formulaic. I think the name at the start of the penultimate line, Edward Smith (perhaps?), is described as one of the four clerks of the court, un(um) quatuor Cl(er)icor(um) Cur(ie), not the new master, who appears not to be named here.

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 17 February 18 20:30 GMT (UK) »
After deciphering more of the Latin endings, I've added a minor correction in blue above.

Online arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 17 February 18 20:43 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks for your agonies over this - my wife and I had plenty of our own before posting it here. The apprentice in question was admitted to the freedom in 1697, if I recall correctly, so he seems to have successfully completed his apprenticeship with the new master, whoever he was.

Arthur
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Offline bristolloggerheads

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 17 February 18 21:30 GMT (UK) »
An Elizabeth Lawrence, widow, took an apprentice pipemaker in 1704 - perhaps William had been her husband???
Syner alias Taylor from Broseley and Benthall

Online arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 18 February 18 10:52 GMT (UK) »
An Elizabeth Lawrence, widow, took an apprentice pipemaker in 1704 - perhaps William had been her husband???

Thanks for that. Was the apprentice William Slade of Orford, Hunts, initially apprenticed to John Axell (or Exell), and apparently turned over to Elizabeth Lawrence the same day?

I think it's probably just a coincidence, as although my wife's William Lawrence did marry an Elizabeth, he was still alive and living in Faversham in 1704.