Author Topic: The Marriage of William Ebdon, and Ann Carnell in around 1832.  (Read 1595 times)

Offline RobinRedBreast

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
The Marriage of William Ebdon, and Ann Carnell in around 1832.
« on: Saturday 17 February 18 15:59 GMT (UK) »
Hello There,

I am trying to find a marriage record of the above two people please.
William Ebdon was born around 1810/1811, possibly in Ottery St. Mary. He lived nearly all of his life in Sidbury.
William was a son of John Ebdon, and Ann Dyer and a brother of my 4x great granddad Thomas Ebdon, who was baptised in 1815 in Sidbury, on the same day as his sister Triphena.
William's parents married in 1809, in Ottery St. Mary. Most of the census returns, apart from the 1861 census have William's place of birth down as being Ottery St. Mary. In all of the census returns, from 1841-1891, he is living in Sidbury. William died in 1898 in Sidbury.

Anyway, according to one family tree I have found on the internet, it states that William Ebdon married Ann Carnell, in 1832. It does not give a date. I am not sure if they were married in Sidbury, but there is a good chance that they would have been. William's wife was born around 1812/1813, in Sidbury, according to census records. There was an Ann Carnell, who was baptised in Sidbury, on the 13th of September 1812, and her birth date was put down as the 23rd of August 1812. William and Ann's oldest child appears to have been Louisa Ebdon, who was born 1833 in Sidbury. So it is possible that they may well have been married in 1832. But I am unable to find a record of the marriage on Family Search, or on Find My Past. I do not subscribe to Ancestry, so am unable to look on there.
I did do a GRO search for the pairs youngest son, Charles James Ebdon, born 1849 in Sidbury (in the district of Honiton), and it gave the mother's maiden surname as: "CARUELL". So there is an obvious likelihood that this could be a mistake in transcription, and it should read: "CARNELL".

If anyone has any information regarding a record for this pairs marriage, I would be very grateful indeed.

Thank you very much.

:) ;)

Offline DOB7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • SQUANCE family motto - Be wise and keep quiet
    • View Profile
Re: The Marriage of William Ebdon, and Ann Carnell in around 1832.
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 17 February 18 22:00 GMT (UK) »
I think it is rather odd that there were no children registered to this couple between 1837 and 1849 - is there a chance that Charles James was a grandson rather than son but William & Ann brought him up? Have you obtained his actual birth certificate?
Squance, Lillicrap, Dankester, Surtees, Yates

Offline RobinRedBreast

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 17 February 18 22:15 GMT (UK) »
I haven't obtained Charles James birth certificate. I did look at the GRO index, and that is what was stated for his mother's maiden surname: "CARUELL" (Probably "CARNELL")
Here is Charles James in Sidbury, with William and Ann in the 1851 census:
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:SGNT-36B
And here he is still in the 1861 census, with William and Ann:
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:M7PK-5DS

Cheers.  :)

Offline DOB7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • SQUANCE family motto - Be wise and keep quiet
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 18 February 18 08:19 GMT (UK) »
Yes I saw all of that and the GRO entry. I also tried to locate other birth regns 1837-1855 with something like that surname for the mother - no luck. You may have to go the birth certificate route. Of course it could be that William & Ann did not marry or that they married in a Church that has not been filmed/transcribed. (Although I believe most if not all for that timeframe have been transcribed).
Squance, Lillicrap, Dankester, Surtees, Yates

Offline solidrock

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 18 February 18 08:35 GMT (UK) »
They may of been Non-Conformist, there are these births...

Louisa Ebdon, Baptism  18 Aug 1833, Sidbury, Devon.     born 01 Aug 1833.

Elizabeth Ebdon, Baptism   26 Oct 1834, Sidbury, Devon.     born 10 Sep 1834.

Henry Francis Ebdon, Baptism  30 Nov 1836, Sidbury, Devon.    born 22 Oct 1836.

Parents William Ebdon and Ann Ebdon.   INDEPENDENT,SIDBURY,DEVON

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 18 February 18 09:37 GMT (UK) »
at that time, before civil registration, marriages would not have been legal in a non-conformist church. The Sidbury church records seem not be online for that period, FamilySearch do not have them but Devon record office does and the family history society has published indexes.

http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/DEV/Sidbury#ChurchRecords

Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Offline RobinRedBreast

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 18 February 18 14:01 GMT (UK) »
at that time, before civil registration, marriages would not have been legal in a non-conformist church. The Sidbury church records seem not be online for that period, FamilySearch do not have them but Devon record office does and the family history society has published indexes.

http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/DEV/Sidbury#ChurchRecords

Thank you very much for this. Also regarding the Sidbury parish registers, I have found out that a lot of the registers prior to 1813 were destroyed in a fire in 1850.

Cheers.  :) ;)

Offline RobinRedBreast

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 18 February 18 14:05 GMT (UK) »
They may of been Non-Conformist, there are these births...

Louisa Ebdon, Baptism  18 Aug 1833, Sidbury, Devon.     born 01 Aug 1833.

Elizabeth Ebdon, Baptism   26 Oct 1834, Sidbury, Devon.     born 10 Sep 1834.

Henry Francis Ebdon, Baptism  30 Nov 1836, Sidbury, Devon.    born 22 Oct 1836.

Parents William Ebdon and Ann Ebdon.   INDEPENDENT,SIDBURY,DEVON

Thank you,

Yes, they were Non- Conformists. William's father John Ebdon, born 1788 in Sidbury, had a Non-Conformist baptism. I think William's siblings in Sidbury also had children with Non-Conformist baptisms.
 :) ;)

Offline DRH123

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 19 February 18 11:39 GMT (UK) »

Thank you very much for this. Also regarding the Sidbury parish registers, I have found out that a lot of the registers prior to 1813 were destroyed in a fire in 1850.

There are surviving Bishop's Transcripts. The RO catalogue claims only from the 17th century but FS has them from various dates throughout the 18th century. They haven't been indexed but you can see the actual images here: https://www.familysearch.org/search/film/005750573?cat=1833986

(The latest seems to be 1792, so no help for events just before 1813.)

David