Author Topic: Caroline Davis possibly Emery c 1874  (Read 6338 times)

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Caroline Davis possibly Emery c 1874
« Reply #45 on: Sunday 04 March 18 13:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi NormanE,

Did you order the PDF version from GRO? If so, that is a copy of the original entry according to this - hence the black dots etc.
https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/PDF_most_customers_want_to_know.asp#PDF1

What I am not sure about though is if the entry would have been done by one person and not therefore signed by the parties.

As a last attempt for some clarification, perhaps Carrie’s birth certificate would help.

Heywood
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Sunday 04 March 18 14:24 GMT (UK) »
PDFs aren’t available for marriages currently, as I understand it.

In any event the original entry is available online - so I don’t see how any copy produced by the GRO could have been more useful that the original.
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Sunday 04 March 18 14:29 GMT (UK) »
PDFs aren’t available for marriages.

In any event the original is available online.

:D Oh I knew that  ::) but just forgot   ;)

I quoted the original from the church records way back in this thread but I wondered if the civil record shows any amendments and presumably not.
When I have sent for marriages, they are, as you say, modern handwritten copies. I was thinking about the black dots  ???

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Sunday 04 March 18 14:47 GMT (UK) »
I amended my post because I thought it sounded (unintentionally) rather aggressive :)

Black dots?
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Sunday 04 March 18 15:01 GMT (UK) »
Thanks AVM228
You are absolutely right the original with the corrections is different from the latest version.  However does this mean the latest version( which has all the black dots of an old version on the paper) is GRO's considered?  If you remember I have an unanswered query about this.
Almost back to square one again.
NormanE

avm228,
I didn’t think it was aggressive so no problem there. I pointed the same thing out to someone the other week but it never dawned on me today.
This is the post I was referring to re black dots.
What seems odd to me, with no experience of amendments, is that the original church record was amended but not the civil one but Free BMD shows ‘Caroline Davis’ plus Annie ...

Just checked Free BMD index page and Caroline has been added in handwritten form as though it is an ommission - no annotation re the reason.

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Sunday 04 March 18 15:12 GMT (UK) »
Ah yes.  Well I suppose GRO have on record (1) the original info as submitted from the parish in 1893, and (2) the amended info which as you say must have been submitted from the parish in 1897, otherwise it wouldn’t be reflected on FreeBMD or on the underlying GRO index.

From NormanE
The marriage certificate for Frederick Udales 1893 marriage has arrived. As I feared the document has no mention of the change to Caroline Davis and leaves us with Annie Newmans and Annie Yeomans.

This suggests they have used (1) rather than (2) as the basis of the new certificate, which therefore tells only half the story.

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Sunday 04 March 18 15:44 GMT (UK) »
Complicated  ::)

I feel like a dog with a bone here but the birth certificate could help. I say ‘could’ because maybe not but it might inform re Caroline as mother and perhaps if she was with her Emery parents.
There were Yeomans in Wirksworth and Davis but I didn’t see a connection.

Also, if the bride was local to Wirksworth, you would think that his family would be aware  :-\

Offline NormanE

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Monday 05 March 18 15:18 GMT (UK) »
From NormanE

Friends
I now have both certificates for the children born to Frederick UDALE and our problem lady(Caroline?)

First is in Stourbridge District and Sub District of Stourbridge and is for Carrie UDALE born 7th October 1895 at Field Lane Oldswinford Worcestershire.  Mothers name Carrie UDALE formerly EMERY. Father, Frederick UDALE, occupation, Labourer in a Stone Quarry

The second is in the Kings Norton District and Sub District of Kings Norton and is for Sarah Annie UDALE born 27th November 1898 at West End Buildings, Kings Norton. Mother's name Caroline UDALE formerly EMERY.  Father, Frederick UDALE, occupation Licensed Hawker

I have also had a reply from the GRO about my query about three names for the wife of Frederick UDALE. Totally unhelpful saying they don't have information to back up the Index.

I suppose we are left with the best candidate Caroline Emery Born to Joseph Emery at Lye Worcestershire in 1872. Nothing better as far as I can see.

"Is this where she came from and where did she go"

NormanE

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Monday 05 March 18 15:35 GMT (UK) »
Hello again NormanE

Who was the informant of Carrie's 1895 birth please - was it Carrie senior, or someone else, and did the informant give the same address as where the birth took place or a different address?