Author Topic: Choosing a new Mobile phone  (Read 6318 times)

Offline polidor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Choosing a new Mobile phone
« on: Saturday 17 February 18 18:04 GMT (UK) »
At the moment i have a Samsung Galaxy Fame, about 5 years old. I use Pay as you go. EE/Orange

I would like to buy one with more options--better camera--bigger keyboard--basically "more bells and whistles"  around the £150-200. price. or is that wishful thinking?

I have Googled for advice ?--and am more confused than when i started looking.

Locked and unlocked i can understand but when they start on about 3g/4g and get REALLY technical i am lost  ::)

What questions should i ask when shopping for one, always supposing i understand the answers of course!

I use my phone mostly for Whatsapp/texting/photos/ the occasional phonecall!

If anyone has the time and patience to reply i would be grateful. :) poli

p.s --trying to do this on my own without consulting my grownup children just in case they say

" mum, do you really need another one? " and no, i don't, i just want one.  ;D   poli

Behling---- London
Bridges---- London
Copperwheat----Bedfordshire---Norfolk
Denton----Bedfordshire
Edwards----Wales
Evans----N.Wales
Farrow----Norfolk
Hughes----N.Wales
Jones----Wales---Bedfordshire
Lambert----London
Larmouth/uth----London
Ostler----Norfolk
Sherwood----Bedfordshire
Silver----Bedfordshire---Suffolk
Smart----Leicestershire---Middx
Teagle----Buckinghamshire---Wales
Totterdell----Hampshire---London---Stoke-On-Trent
Woods----London

Offline bluesofa

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Choosing a new Mobile phone
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 17 February 18 18:54 GMT (UK) »
Motorola has been recommended to me for being good quality, but cheaper than Apple/Samsung. 

I think this would lead to the G5 range.  There's a comparison here

https://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=8454&idPhone2=8698&idPhone3=8699

And an article here

https://www.pocket-lint.com/phones/buyers-guides/motorola/140313-motorola-moto-g5-vs-g5-plus-vs-g5s-vs-g5s-plus-what-are-all-these-moto-phones

I guess most phones in this price bracket will have the functionality you use, so it may be a case of deciding what screen size you prefer and looking at reviews of camera and build quality. 

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 17 February 18 21:38 GMT (UK) »
I've got a Motorola, Moto G (3rd Generation), I think they're up to 5th Generation now.  It does have a very good camera and like you I use it mainly for texting/Whatsapp and occasional 'phone calls.  It does have a couple of anomalies compared to other android 'phones, for instance you can't download your own music to use as a ring tone but that's not a problem unless you really wanted a particular piece of music.

One of my sons and his wife have always had Motorola Moto G 'phones, my son has recently bought himself the latest version.

Which? has an update on mobile 'phones this month, it had 3 best buys, a Samsung Galaxy Note 8 @ £869, a OnePlus 5T @ £449 and a Motorola Moto G5 Plus @ £200.  About the Motorola it states "Our cheapest Best Buy has a 5.2 inch display.  It's terrific value, with good photos and videos, 11 hours of web browsing from a single charge, and a fingerprint sensor".

I rarely browse the web on my 'phone - I use my laptop for that - and I usually re-charge my 'phone every 2-3 days, more if I've taken photos and videos of course.

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 17 February 18 21:45 GMT (UK) »
I've just read that at the Mobile World Congress to be held in Spain from 28 Feb to 1 Mar, Motorola will be introducing Moto G6 at a similar price.  I was thinking of upgrading to a G5 but I'll wait now for the G6.

Offline polidor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 18 February 18 17:03 GMT (UK) »
Thanks to bluesofa and LizzieW for replying.

I looked at the 2 articles suggested. Motorola would seem to be a popular choice.

A query----what does a phone that costs £600--800 have/do that one costing £200-300 doesn't ?

The  articles probably explained but a bit too technically for me to easily understand. poli
Behling---- London
Bridges---- London
Denton----Bedfordshire
Edwards----Wales
Evans----N.Wales
Farrow----Norfolk
Hughes----N.Wales
Lambert----London
Larmouth/uth----London
Ostler----Norfolk
Sherwood----Bedfordshire
Silver----Bedfordshire---Suffolk
Smart----Leicestershire---Middx
Teagle----Buckinghamshire---Wales
Totterdell----Hampshire---London---Stoke-On-Trent
Woods----London

Offline PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 18 February 18 19:29 GMT (UK) »
A query----what does a phone that costs £600--800 have/do that one costing £200-300 doesn't ?

A particular logo?. we all have Motorola handsets of one variety or another.
Really can't fault any of the current mid-range ones.

One thing I would watch out for is that the casing has some "grip" to it. Some of 'em are as slippery as an eel.
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.

Offline MagicMirror

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 18 February 18 20:32 GMT (UK) »
At the moment i have a Samsung Galaxy Fame, about 5 years old. I use Pay as you go. EE/Orange

I would like to buy one with more options--better camera--bigger keyboard--basically "more bells and whistles"  around the £150-200. price. or is that wishful thinking?

I replaced my similar vintage Galaxy Fame with a Huawei P10 Lite just before Christmas. I am very happy with it.  It seems like a huge step up. Currently available (sim free) at around £180 and probably ticks all your boxes.

Additionally my daughter has also now bought one to replace an iPhone 5 and she is also happy with it.

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 18 February 18 22:00 GMT (UK) »
We are struggling to find a large mobile phone.  Plenty are advertising large buttons, but we want a large phone for someone shortsighted and with poor grip.

Martin

Offline polidor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 18 February 18 22:02 GMT (UK) »
Thanks also to MagicMirror and Pauline.j

Noticed that a ref. was made to 'sim free'---I have just spent a good while Googling 'sim free' and 'unlocked/locked' and am now getting really confused.

I can vaguely understand the concepts of both these things but cannot truly decide which would suit my needs best?

As I understand--or think I understand sim free phone means you are not tied to a particular provider like EE for example. How would that work if you are PAYG ?

As for locked/unlocked---- well my very old brain is scrambled !!   Poli
Behling---- London
Bridges---- London
Denton----Bedfordshire
Edwards----Wales
Evans----N.Wales
Farrow----Norfolk
Hughes----N.Wales
Lambert----London
Larmouth/uth----London