Author Topic: Choosing a new Mobile phone  (Read 6372 times)

Offline polidor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Choosing a new Mobile phone
« Reply #18 on: Monday 26 February 18 10:25 GMT (UK) »
I really don't understand the technical details---- apparently the SIM card in my old phone was too large to fit into the new phone so 'as I understand it' all info from old phone was transferred to the new phone by use of a PAC number?

It has all gone over my head really. I believe I am ' sim free' now ?

The new phone now holds all my WhatsApp photos but NOT my ordinary pictures from photo album---don't know where they are.
My phone number works on my new phone but has gone from the old one. My £35.00 payg seems a lost cause. Tesco and O2 work together . Poli

Wish I'd taken a young person with me when I went shopping!!!
Behling---- London
Bridges---- London
Copperwheat----Bedfordshire---Norfolk
Denton----Bedfordshire
Edwards----Wales
Evans----N.Wales
Farrow----Norfolk
Hughes----N.Wales
Jones----Wales---Bedfordshire
Lambert----London
Larmouth/uth----London
Ostler----Norfolk
Sherwood----Bedfordshire
Silver----Bedfordshire---Suffolk
Smart----Leicestershire---Middx
Teagle----Buckinghamshire---Wales
Totterdell----Hampshire---London---Stoke-On-Trent
Woods----London

Offline greenrig

• RootsChat Senior
  • My Father, 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 26 February 18 10:43 GMT (UK) »
Oh dear Polidor;   I'll try to explain your points to help others but there's a lot to learn here.
1. New phone uses smaller sized SIM card, so old SIM card could not be put in it.  The SIM card holds very little info (certainly not your photos, and probably nothing other than your phone number).
2. A "SIM free" phone still has a SIM in it, but can accept ANY card (of the right size), from any service provider - so you can change networks at will, if you want to.
3. Your Whatsapp photos are stored by Whatsapp ("in the cloud"), and can be restored to your phone if you want.
4.Your "ordinary pictures" - I assume these are photos you have taken with old phone - these are saved in the phone memory. They MAY be on an SD card in the old phone, which can be recovered, or maybe not (depends on old phone).  You need to restore these from your backup - what do you mean "I don't have a backup"
5. Your PAYG credit could have been transferred, but may be lost now.

ALL photos stored on a phone WILL finally be lost - either the phone, or memory card will ultimately break, or be lost.  You must have a backup of photos and other stuff - and you must start doing this today.
Google, Apple, Samsung and all the rest offer no charge options to back up your photos. You don't need a PC/Mac to do this, but you do need good WiFi connection.
NEILSON - Erskine/Bishopton, Renfrewshire and Glasgow
BROWN - Hamilton, Lanarkshire
CAIRNS - Hamilton, Lanarkshire
FINDLAY - Kirriemuir area, Forfarshire/Angus
PORTER - Tobermore, Derry, Ireland

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 26 February 18 12:42 GMT (UK) »
Hmm - I'm not convinced Polidor

When I bought a new 'phone my SIM card was too big, but all the large SIM cards I've seen have a centre that can be pushed out which is small enough to use in your new 'phone. 

That's what happened with my SIM card, I pushed out the centre and it then fitted into my new 'phone.  I didn't lose any money I had on the card and having copied all my contacts details onto the SIM card, once I'd put the SIM card into my new 'phone the contact details were still available.  As greenrig says, your PAYG credit could have been transferred, I suspect someone eager for a sale and commission in Tesco that gave you the wrong info.  I would complain, but whether you want to do that depends on how much money you had on your old SIM card.
Wish I'd taken a young person with me when I went shopping!!!

I wish you had too. :(

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 26 February 18 13:36 GMT (UK) »
When I bought a new 'phone my SIM card was too big, but all the large SIM cards I've seen have a centre that can be pushed out which is small enough to use in your new 'phone. 

When I changed my phone the new one needed a nano sim which was smaller than the centre of the old sim.

As I understand it, the problem here is that Polidor has changed suppliers from EE to Tesco which uses O2. If she'd stayed with EE they would have just swapped her number to the new sim and the money would have stayed on it, which is what happened when I changed phones. It might be worth contacting EE to see if they will refund the money. Incidentally, I never have more than £1 credit on my PAYG just in case it is lost or stolen - I top up just before my bundle runs out.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 26 February 18 14:24 GMT (UK) »
When I changed my phone the new one needed a nano sim which was smaller than the centre of the old sim.

Oh yes, you are correct. I had a small SIM card and pressed the centre out to put use as a nano SIM  ::)

Offline polidor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 02 March 18 16:29 GMT (UK) »
I hope to revisit Tesco shop in the next few days . My daughter is coming with me to help sort things out.
Unable to go this past week (weather) I have had to wait till my daughter came back from latest work trip.
I also have a friend who is adept at writing complaint letters in a very efficient way and she is going to get in touch with EE re the PAYG money.
I will let you know what, if anything, results. Poli
Behling---- London
Bridges---- London
Denton----Bedfordshire
Edwards----Wales
Evans----N.Wales
Farrow----Norfolk
Hughes----N.Wales
Lambert----London
Larmouth/uth----London
Ostler----Norfolk
Sherwood----Bedfordshire
Woods----London

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 03 March 18 18:03 GMT (UK) »
Go Chinese Xiaomi or through Gearbest. I bought a Xiaomi Mi Max 6 inch screen and 4800ma battery direct for just over £200. Comparable to top range Samsung at £600+
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline polidor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 24 March 18 09:16 GMT (UK) »
I wrote to 'orange' re the £35 oo in my PAYG not being transferred to my new phone but they pointed me to their 'terms and conditions' xSo no cheque for me .

Thanks for all the input and sorry to take a long lime togetback to you but am in hospital having suffered a stroke. 
Behling---- London
Bridges---- London
Denton----Bedfordshire
Edwards----Wales
Evans----N.Wales
Farrow----Norfolk
Hughes----N.Wales
Lambert----London
Larmouth/uth----London
Ostler----Norfolk
Sherwood----Bedfordshire
Woods----London

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 24 March 18 10:19 GMT (UK) »
So sorry to hear you haven’t been well, Polidor, hope you are now on the way to recovery. Take care x
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk