Author Topic: Choosing a new Mobile phone  (Read 6327 times)

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
Re: Choosing a new Mobile phone
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 24 March 18 20:34 GMT (UK) »
Sorry to hear you are not well Polidor, get well soon.

Offline ClamChowder

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 22 May 18 12:08 BST (UK) »
Moto Gs are good.

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 22 May 18 13:20 BST (UK) »
I've got a Moto G3 (3rd Gen) and it has been very good, however, I've found if I use WhatsApp it uses a lot of battery - not sure if that's just my 'phone or if this happens in general.  I've been looking at G6 Play to replace the G3, best price I can find is £169 sim free.

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 23 May 18 18:50 BST (UK) »
Lizzie, Try a Xiaomi Chinese phone. For the money you pay for midrange phone, you would get a top of the range job. I got a 6 1.4 inch screen for £215 last year, and prices have not changed.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 24 May 18 10:32 BST (UK) »
Roger - my husband would have a heart attack if I spent that much on a 'phone.  He can't see why anyone needs a mobile 'phone, and only has one under sufferance (an old one that used to belong to one of our children).  He never texts people and only takes it out with him because I tell him he should in case of emergencies - and then he "forgets" to turn it on.

My children and grandchildren always contact me via my mobile 'phone, but if they want to speak to their dad/grandad then they ring the landline.  I use my 'phone for texts, occasional 'phone calls, and taking photographs, traffic news etc. etc.

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Thursday 24 May 18 17:19 BST (UK) »
Hmm - I'm not convinced Polidor

When I bought a new 'phone my SIM card was too big, but all the large SIM cards I've seen have a centre that can be pushed out which is small enough to use in your new 'phone. 

That's what happened with my SIM card, I pushed out the centre and it then fitted into my new 'phone.  I didn't lose any money I had on the card and having copied all my contacts details onto the SIM card, once I'd put the SIM card into my new 'phone the contact details were still available.  As greenrig says, your PAYG credit could have been transferred, I suspect someone eager for a sale and commission in Tesco that gave you the wrong info.  I would complain, but whether you want to do that depends on how much money you had on your old SIM card.
Wish I'd taken a young person with me when I went shopping!!!

I wish you had too. :(

Or do what I do, engage Victor Meldrew mode, and be a bl**dy mi ded old so and so!! Works too, but I have over 60 year history of being like that.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Thursday 24 May 18 18:28 BST (UK) »
When I bought a new 'phone my SIM card was too big, but all the large SIM cards I've seen have a centre that can be pushed out which is small enough to use in your new 'phone. 

Depends how long you've had your old phone - a sim now comes as a standard one and you can push out the micro sim or the nano sim. My old card was only a standard and micro, so I went to the Vodafone shop and they gave me a nano sim and transferred everything on there for me, including credit.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Thursday 24 May 18 19:07 BST (UK) »
The 'phone I've got now is about 3 years old, and the sim in the previous 'phone had 3 options, leave it large, push out the micro, or push out the nano from the centre of the micro.

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Tuesday 29 May 18 12:30 BST (UK) »
Some phones at the basic end of the market still have the large sim.