Author Topic: Just that one piece of info and boom !  (Read 696 times)

Offline adrian7886

• RootsChat Extra
  • Questions questions so many questions :-)
    • View Profile
Just that one piece of info and boom !
« on: Saturday 17 February 18 19:04 GMT (UK) »
After years of frustration and trying to remember family stories from over 40 years ago it's amazing how one small piece of info opens a whole branch of the tree.

I was always told my maternal family was from West Sussex but no matter how hard I tried I couldn't find the link then I found the 1939 register and Bingo!

I remembered roughly where my great grandmother lived but not the address so drove around for a while and found her old house.

From that I found my mothers given name was different to the one she used, our family was from London and Surrey and finally after years of research found out who my maternal grandfather was.

I was always told he went to Australia after the war but he didn't. He was locked up for seven years in 1942 after a family shooting in Plymouth !!

I then found he died in 1980 in Chichester and had another family.

I could keep going with all the other things I have since found but won't bore you all. I guess I just wanted to share how much a single piece of research can open so many doors.

Keep going. You will find out in the end .

Kent: Brown and Smith
Petersfield Hants: Bonner & Smith also Bonner-Smith

Offline Josephine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Photo: Beardstown, Illinois
    • View Profile
Re: Just that one piece of info and boom !
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 17 February 18 19:11 GMT (UK) »
Amazing!

Congratulations, adrian7886!

Regards,
Josephine
England: Barnett; Beaumont; Christy; George; Holland; Parker; Pope; Salisbury
Scotland: Currie; Curror; Dobson; Muir; Oliver; Pryde; Turnbull; Wilson
Ireland: Carson; Colbert; Coy; Craig; McGlinchey; Riley; Rooney; Trotter; Waters/Watters

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 17 February 18 21:58 GMT (UK) »
Well done, I wish I could find the key to the piece of information I need, but I'll keep searching, it's out there somewhere and, hopefully, it will end up on line sooner rather than later.

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copywrite on all census material,
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 17 February 18 22:47 GMT (UK) »
Me to 15 years I have been trying to find one ancestors birth to na avail xxx
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,