Author Topic: New User  (Read 2218 times)

Offline Graham Robert Jackson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
New User
« on: Sunday 18 February 18 02:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I’m new here, and new to genealogy so please bare with me. I’m particularly interested in the Jackson family tree.

The oldest relative I have identified is John Jackson born 9th July 1763, in Whitby Yorkshire. He married Elizabeth Robinson, on the 4th April 1785. They had 11 children, I am descended from Robert Jackson their 10 child.

I would be great full of any help I can get in this cause.

Regards,
Graham Jackson

Offline solidrock

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: New User
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 18 February 18 07:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi welcome to Rootschat.

I can't find a birth for John in Whitby, the only one thats close is ...

John Jackson. baptised  09 Jul 1763, KIRBY MISPERTON

as for his marriage

John Jackson  m  Elizabeth Robinson  08 May 1790, Whitby.

Offline Gen List Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Jane ANDERSON nee DODD, 2 x g grandmother.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 18 February 18 19:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi Graham

There is a family tree on Ancestry.com that says his parents were Nicholas Jackson and Elizabeth Reed. They don't have any proof he is the son of those parents, so treat with suspicion!

Common name John Jackson, so very difficult to research!

Gen in NBL UK
UK - Northumberland, County Durham: ANDERSON,   DODD(S), EDWARDS, ELLIOTT/ELLET, FENWICK, GREY/GRAY, HINDMARCH and variants, JORDAN, MOORE, MURRAY, RIPPON, RODDHAM, RYDER-TURNER, SPARK(E)(S), STEWART, TILLEY, TIPLADY, WATSON,
Sheffield: TURNER
Middlesex: RYDER
<br />Aberdeenshire: EDWARDS, BRODIE<br />Angus STEWART, DIXON, PETRIE

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 18 February 18 20:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I’m new here, and new to genealogy so please bare with me. I’m particularly interested in the Jackson family tree.

The oldest relative I have identified is John Jackson born 9th July 1763, in Whitby Yorkshire. He married Elizabeth Robinson, on the 4th April 1785. They had 11 children, I am descended from Robert Jackson their 10 child.

I would be great full of any help I can get in this cause.

Regards,
Graham Jackson

Graham, I do not want to discourage a new researcher but I would urge caution with your research. To avoid disappointment at a later date try to find at least three separate sources of information for each event or record you find (by this I mean different types of records not the same record from different suppliers). Each separate record will help validate your conclusions.
It is very easy to trace ancestry back through the centuries but difficult to accurately trace ancestry.
Many people, especially these days with easy online access to records latch on to the first record they find only to find that person died before they married or could not be their ancestor as a brother or sister was born a few months before or after the one they assumed to be correct.
If you are dealing with common names you may have to run a number of families in parallel to exclude those who cannot be yours.

Of course you could have constructed an accurate tree quickly back to the mid 18th century in which case, well done and onward through parish registers, taxes, wills and testaments post mortem, etc., through the middle ages.

Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • UK Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 18 February 18 20:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi Graham,

WELCOME to Rootschat.

We are all here to help.

I think that most of us who have read your introductory message are amazed that for a beginner you have got back to the 1700s so early in your "genealogical career".

It would be great if you walked us through the links back to that 1700's family.
Is there a tree online that you have?
Has someone donated info, or has already built the tree back to that rough time?

Cheers!
Ray
"The wise man knows how little he knows, the foolish man does not". My Grandfather & Father.

"You can’t give kindness away.  It keeps coming back". Mark Twain (?).

Offline PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 18 February 18 20:44 GMT (UK) »
The 1790 marriage, where Elizabeth is a minor.

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:NXZS-28P

the 1785 marriage (same names, Elizabeth of full age) https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:NXZS-FLZ

Will go looking for these kids..
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.

Offline angelfish58

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Grandma & Grandad married 23 Aug 1918
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 18 February 18 21:01 GMT (UK) »
There is a John Jackson born 9 July 1763 and baptised 16 September at St Mary the Virgin, Whitby the son of Nicholas Jackson, a master mariner.
Interestingly there's another Jackson marriage on the 4th April 1785, Richard Jackson married Eleanor Winspear with the same witnesses as the John Jackson marriage, Thomas Holt? and Elizabeth Carlin. Could Richard and John be related or is it just a coincidence as Jackson is a fairly common name.
Watson, Snowball, Pyburn, Heppell, Ferry, Holmes, Clennett, Kidd, Pescod, Bage Co.Duham & Northumberland
Stockton, Watson, Bage, Nellist N. Yorks
Challnor/Challoner Cheshire/Shropshire. Moore, Mansell: Wellington, Shropshire
Davies/ David, Coity, Glamorgan
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 18 February 18 23:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

This is potentially interesting do you have a link to family tree on Ancestory.com with this
information ?

Hi Graham

There is a family tree on Ancestry.com that says his parents were Nicholas Jackson and Elizabeth Reed. They don't have any proof he is the son of those parents, so treat with suspicion!

Common name John Jackson, so very difficult to research!

Gen in NBL UK

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 18 February 18 23:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I’m reasonable confident of the tree back to this John Jackson but as I say I’m fairly new to this and I may have made assumptions in building the family tree that I have, it’s on Ancestry.com but I’m not sure how to link it here or how to write it out for you to walk through in order to check my work.

Hi Graham,

WELCOME to Rootschat.

We are all here to help.

I think that most of us who have read your introductory message are amazed that for a beginner you have got back to the 1700s so early in your "genealogical career".

It would be great if you walked us through the links back to that 1700's family.
Is there a tree online that you have?
Has someone donated info, or has already built the tree back to that rough time?

Cheers!
Ray