Author Topic: 24th Battalion County of London "The Queens" Territorials  (Read 717 times)

Offline iwccc

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
24th Battalion County of London "The Queens" Territorials
« on: Sunday 18 February 18 11:30 GMT (UK) »
Can anyone point me in the right direction regarding this group of Territorials.  Is there a list of names of recruits  etc.?  I am interested in finding a George Herbert Fluke who was in this group up until 1914 when he joined the Navy.  I am also interested in what these soldiers did, how often did they meet, where etc.etc.  Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 24th Battalion County of London "The Queens" Territorials
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 18 February 18 12:19 GMT (UK) »
A snippet from other research.  The drill hall where they were headquartered and where they would have come together was at 71 New Street Kennington, now called Braganza Street.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Braganza_Street_drill_hall
They became a compomnent of the West Surrey Regiment in 1916.  Although your man was not in them, it will be worth gettng in touch with the Surrey History centre as they may have information on the antecedants of the West Surreys  https://www.surreycc.gov.uk/heritage-culture-and-recreation/archives-and-history/surrey-history-centre  (with acknowledgements to Rosie from an uncnnecetd thread)

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 18 February 18 16:42 GMT (UK) »
Although this link is to the Derbyshires Territorials, it could equally well in outline apply to the Queens. https://derbyshireterritorials.wordpress.com/the-pre-war-years-1908-1913/1909-2/

The two week annual camp was the major training event of the year for the Territorials.  I hesitate to go firm on what training took place other than at camp.  A typical engagement was for four years and record was kept of attendance at annual training.
As your man joined the RN a guess would say he did a 4 year engagement some time 1980-1913/14 and then left (the TF didn't start until 1908).
Just noticed he lived at some time in Vauxhall Street Kennington, convenient for the drill hall!

MaxD

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 23 February 18 15:25 GMT (UK) »
iwccc - while I appreciate I didn't find George Fluke, may I take it that the info provided has been useful??

MaxD

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk

Offline iwccc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 24 February 18 10:05 GMT (UK) »
MaxD. Thank you so much for the information on the Territorials. It was great seeing the hall and knowing a bit more about the group. Sorry for taking so long to reply.  I usually reply quickly but the pace of life has got the better of me over the last few weeks.  Hopefully back on track now. 
Thanks again

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 24 February 18 10:15 GMT (UK) »
You are most welcome - always nice to see something solid like the drill hall still surviving to add context.

MaxD

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk