Author Topic: Companion of the Distinguished Service Order - Citation?  (Read 500 times)

Offline Chiad Fhear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Aye mair questions than answers!
    • View Profile
Companion of the Distinguished Service Order - Citation?
« on: Sunday 18 February 18 13:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi There

I have a former R.N.R. Captain (Mercantile Marine) in my tree who was Gazetted a Companion of the Distinguished Service Order in December 1917

Would there be a citation anywhere relating to this?  Any clues as to how I can find out more about it?

Chiad Fhear
Aye mair questions than answers in a world where the past was a different place - that cannae be revisited!

Family surnames being researched ...
Crawford, Neilson, Lindsay, Reekie, Davidson
Drummond, Laing, Pearson, Tulloch ... will do for starters but there's a whole lot more!

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Companion of the Distinguished Service Order - Citation?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 18 February 18 14:01 GMT (UK) »
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 18 February 18 14:09 GMT (UK) »
Not sure if you want to find out about the DSO or about your ancestor. There is this where you can search for him:

https://search.findmypast.co.uk/search-world-records/the-london-gazette-supplements-august-1914---january-1920

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Chiad Fhear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 18 February 18 14:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi KGarrad and Gadget

Thanks for your responses.  I know who the man is and a great deal about him.  My quest is to determine the accuracy of a bit of family folklore that he was awarded the medal for sinking a WW1 German submarine.

I'm wondering, now, if this Gazette entry may be the only mention:

"Honours for the Mercantile Marine.
The KING has been graciously pleased to approve of the award of Honours, Decorations and Medals to the undermentioned Officers and men of the British Mercantile Marine, in recognition of zeal and devotion to duty shown in carrying on the trade of the country during the War :—
To be a Companion of the Distinguished Service Order ..."

For some awards, the Gazette would also publish details of the reason for the award (i.e. citation)

Chiad Fhear
Aye mair questions than answers in a world where the past was a different place - that cannae be revisited!

Drummond, Laing, Pearson, Tulloch ... will do for starters but there's a whole lot more!

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 18 February 18 14:32 GMT (UK) »
Just seen that further details were likely to be only given if he was armed forces:

For those in the armed forces, the gazette will provide your ancestor’s name, rank, regiment and the details of the event (whether it was due to a promotion, being mentioned in dispatches or receiving a medal).

I wonder whether a local newspaper might give more info than the Gazette entry :-\

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 18 February 18 14:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi KGarrad and Gadget
For some awards, the Gazette would also publish details of the reason for the award (i.e. citation)

Chiad Fhear

Very rarely is a citation mentioned in The Gazette.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Chiad Fhear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 18 February 18 14:54 GMT (UK) »
Thanks again both

That's something else for me to think about  ::)  I believe there is mention of the reason for the award in a Canadian paper at the time of his death which I'll need to pursue.  Although born in Glasgow in 1877 he died in Vancouver, Canada in 1929.  I have all the relevant BMD records for him.

I know VC awards citations appear in the Gazette and just thought the DSO may have been the same ... sorry  :(

Chiad Fhear

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 18 February 18 14:55 GMT (UK) »
Under :

https://www.forces-war-records.co.uk/hireresearcher/medalsandhonoursresearchinfo

It states:

First World War – Citations for the VC, DSO, MC and DCM were published in the London Gazette during the Great War. However if the DSO or MC was a King’s Birthday or New Year award details were not published and in most cases will not be available. The citations published in the LG did not usually give details of the place and date of the action for which awarded for security reasons. For most of these I can obtain these details from the War Office copy of the gazette. This can enable a search of the unit War Diary which will give a broader picture of the action for which awarded. In the case of the Military Medal recommendations have not survived and are announced by name, ranks, number and unit only in the London Gazette. However once the unit and date of the award is known a search can be made of the War Diary. These quite often mention awards, sometimes giving a date of the action and on occasions a recommendation. In general no recommendations for Mention in Despatches survive for the army during WW1.

Note this is what it says about the Merchant Service

First World War – The availability for the MN during WW1 are similar to those of the Royal Navy. Usually about a 50% success rate.

Offline Chiad Fhear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 18 February 18 15:53 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Gadget - your help appreciated  :)

Chiad Fhear