Author Topic: Ballyvoy townland, Kilbride Parish, Doagh  (Read 2544 times)

Offline FionaMcDonald

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Ballyvoy townland, Kilbride Parish, Doagh
« on: Sunday 18 February 18 14:04 GMT (UK) »
I am aware that there is a Ballyvoy townland near Ballycastle, in Culfeightrin Parish.  However, I have some 1880s Harbison/Harbinson marriages at Kilbride Presbyterian Church, Doagh, where one or both parties residence was given as Ballyvoy townland.  I am wondering if a townland in Kilbride (or a neighbouring parish) has changed its name, or had an alternative name?  Advice appreciated please.
Newtownards - McDonald, MacDonald, McDonnell, McIlroy, McElroy, O'Neill, Snodden, McClurg, Wallace, Scott
Hilltown/Rathfriland - Magill, Young, Truesdale, Hall, McMahon, Stewart, McIlroy, Hanna, Stranaghan, Hood
Limavady area - Ferguson, Cunningham, Irwin, Smith, McFetridge
Belfast - Harbinson (+ Doagh, Co Antrim) Lawther, Halliday, Rolleston, Rolston, Ralston (+ Keady, Co Armagh)
Ballyrashane/Coleraine area - McAfee, Cochrane
Glenarm - Murphy
Moy/Dungannon - Simons, Hobson, Lutton, McWilliams

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Ballyvoy townland, Kilbride Parish, Doagh
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 18 February 18 15:54 GMT (UK) »
Brides usually marry in their Parish, so Groom can be from anywhere!
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline FionaMcDonald

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 18 February 18 17:54 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for your reply.  I am aware of that and all parties were from the immediate area. 

I now see from other Rootsweb posts that Ballyvoy was also known as Duncansland, and am thinking that's not too big a phonetic stretch from Douglasland, which is recorded on several death certificates in that family.
Newtownards - McDonald, MacDonald, McDonnell, McIlroy, McElroy, O'Neill, Snodden, McClurg, Wallace, Scott
Hilltown/Rathfriland - Magill, Young, Truesdale, Hall, McMahon, Stewart, McIlroy, Hanna, Stranaghan, Hood
Limavady area - Ferguson, Cunningham, Irwin, Smith, McFetridge
Belfast - Harbinson (+ Doagh, Co Antrim) Lawther, Halliday, Rolleston, Rolston, Ralston (+ Keady, Co Armagh)
Ballyrashane/Coleraine area - McAfee, Cochrane
Glenarm - Murphy
Moy/Dungannon - Simons, Hobson, Lutton, McWilliams

Offline lmgnz

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 23 February 18 08:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi Fiona,

I think the other name that Ballyvoy may be connected with is Ballywee. Gilby may have posted on this at some point as he has a lot of interests in this area. I have been searching some of his emails and have found one reference which is about the relationship of Ballyvoy to Holestone.

"I thought it clarified the distinction between the Ballyvoy Demesne and the Holestone Demesne"

I do know that we were looking at a Bryson family, members of whom were at Ballyvoy and Holestone, Ballynoe and Ballywee and Ballybracken.

My notes show Duncansland and Ballyvoy listed together. I think I remember seeing a map in which the Ballyvoy townland may have been split into two parts with possibly McVickersland in between  but cannot be sure I am remembering the right townland.

Cheers

Linda(NZ)

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 23 February 18 09:16 GMT (UK) »
Just looking at Ballyvoy on http://www.placenamesni.org/index.php

Are there 2 townlands of same name?  Neither in Kilbride Parish.....

Offline lmgnz

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 23 February 18 09:35 GMT (UK) »
Ballyvoy Lodge was the subject of the reference to the distinction between Ballyvoy Demesne and Holestone Demesne, so I assume they are fairly close. There was mention of Ballyvoy lodge possibly being the Dowager House for Holestone House. This was in relation to a Ferguson family.

I noted a post which referred to the will of someone known to be resident in Ballyvoy having the address Douglasland, so perhaps both Duncansland and Douglasland are in or are Ballyvoy.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline lmgnz

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 23 February 18 09:56 GMT (UK) »
The askaboutireland Griffiths valuation old maps show both Duncansland and Douglasland side by side just above the top of the Holestone townland where it extends into the yellowed portion of the map. Old Ballybracken Road divides the two.

There is no Ballyvoy shown in the Griffiths maps but Ballywee is adjacent and west of Holestone.

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 23 February 18 10:25 GMT (UK) »
Townland names have changed over the years. If you look at Penders Census c 1659, you will find plenty of townland names that are not in use today. There were alternative names for some, subdivision names for parts of some townlands and a wide variety of spelling variations. I have heard experts on Griffiths explain that the clerks tried to standardise the names a bit, and consequently some of the names start to disappear post Griffiths. Some of the subdivision names can be found on maps (as in the case of Douglasland for example) just not in the list of standardised place names use don Griffiths.
Elwyn