Author Topic: Ballyvoy townland, Kilbride Parish, Doagh  (Read 2524 times)

Offline FionaMcDonald

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Ballyvoy townland, Kilbride Parish, Doagh
« Reply #9 on: Monday 26 February 18 21:10 GMT (UK) »
Thanks to everyone who has contributed to an interesting discussion.
Newtownards - McDonald, MacDonald, McDonnell, McIlroy, McElroy, O'Neill, Snodden, McClurg, Wallace, Scott
Hilltown/Rathfriland - Magill, Young, Truesdale, Hall, McMahon, Stewart, McIlroy, Hanna, Stranaghan, Hood
Limavady area - Ferguson, Cunningham, Irwin, Smith, McFetridge
Belfast - Harbinson (+ Doagh, Co Antrim) Lawther, Halliday, Rolleston, Rolston, Ralston (+ Keady, Co Armagh)
Ballyrashane/Coleraine area - McAfee, Cochrane
Glenarm - Murphy
Moy/Dungannon - Simons, Hobson, Lutton, McWilliams

Offline Gilby

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 03 March 18 14:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi. As Linda mentioned, I’m also curious about Ballyvoy.

As far as I can make out it seems that prior to about 1800 a large part of Kilbride and the neighbouring parishes were lumped together in two large townlands known as Ballyvoy and Grange. 

We’ve got a newspaper clipping from 1808 which has been passed down in our family and refers to “the Mansion farm of Grange” which at the time only contained 54 acres (i.e. the townland “Fifty Acres”).  However, in the 1700s Grange included what is now Holestone townland which itself used to extend all the way down to the river (in the Grange of Nilteen).

Ballyvoy probably included Walkmill, Burnside, Owensland, Douglasland, Duncansland, the Kilbride (eastern) part of Ballywee, and presumably Moss-side and Strawpark in between. 

I’m not sure about Walkmill and Burnside because I’ve got a 1764 source which suggests they may have been part of Drumadarragh.  I’ve also got a copy of an 1812 map which shows what is now Owensland labelled “James Owens, Ballyvoy”. 

Most of Kilbride parish was held by the Gillilands in the 1700s from the Marquis of Donegall (particularly John Gilliland who died in 1789).  Neither John Gilliland or his brothers had any children, so the land passed to their nephews William Owens (c1725-c1814) and John Owens (c1727-1806).  William apparently didn’t marry, but he did have a daughter Hester (d. c1796) who married Samuel Ferguson of Standingstone (d. 1793), so his share of the land was split up among the Fergusons.

Gilby

Offline Gilby

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 03 March 18 15:13 GMT (UK) »
Update to the above.  I’ve just realised I have a copy of a 1770 map (PRONI D835/1/3/25) which shows the townlands of “Ballybrecan”, “Drimnadaragh”, “Rathshee” and Ballyvoy.  I’ve compared this to the more recent Griffith’s map which shows that

Drumadarragh included:
Drumadarragh
Walkmill
Burnside

Ballyvoy included:
Owensland
Duncandland
Douglasland

Ballybracken included:
McVickersland
Ballybracken
Crawfordsland

I’m still half convinced part of Ballywee was in Ballyvoy at some stage, but the above is the clearest source I’ve seen for the old townland boundaries.