Author Topic: Vancouver Obituary from January 1929 *** COMPLETED ***  (Read 959 times)

Offline sami

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Grannie M
    • View Profile
Re: Vancouver Obituary from January 1929
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 18 February 18 21:48 GMT (UK) »
Good that you found it RK. I did browse through that edition but did not see the obituary. I get side tracked reading all sorts of other things and forget what I'm looking for ;)

sami
England:  Archer, Bailey, Bates, Blower, Bosworth, Court, Hicklin, Orton, Palmer, Robbins, Sedgwick, Smith, Stevenson, Stone, Varnam, Wakelin, Walker
Canada:  Archer, Walker, Spencer, Shepherd
Australia:  Taplin
South Africa:  Risley

Offline Chiad Fhear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Aye mair questions than answers!
    • View Profile
Re: Vancouver Obituary from January 1929
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 18 February 18 22:06 GMT (UK) »
Well done everyone ... I overlooked it as well!

Job done!

Chiad Fhear
Aye mair questions than answers in a world where the past was a different place - that cannae be revisited!

Family surnames being researched ...
Crawford, Neilson, Lindsay, Reekie, Davidson
Drummond, Laing, Pearson, Tulloch ... will do for starters but there's a whole lot more!

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Vancouver Obituary from January 1929 *** COMPLETED ***
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 18 February 18 22:49 GMT (UK) »
 :) :) :)

It is very easy to get side tracked!!  It is a lot of fun reading through old newspapers.  So many interesting articles ... and great fashion (I love the ads for dresses/hats etc!!) :)

RK

Offline Chiad Fhear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 19 February 18 07:41 GMT (UK) »
This is an embarrassing admission!

I originally said the date of death was 15 JANUARY 1929 but have just checked the Death Certificate, in light of the Obituary find, and it clearly reads 15 MARCH 1929

Apologies for my error - another "Senior Moment"  :-[

Chiad Fhear
Aye mair questions than answers in a world where the past was a different place - that cannae be revisited!

Drummond, Laing, Pearson, Tulloch ... will do for starters but there's a whole lot more!

Offline Chiad Fhear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 26 February 18 20:01 GMT (UK) »
Just to finish this one up ...

Thanks to the Moderator of https://uboat.net :— I now have a summary of the action, following which Captain Murray was awarded the D.S.O.:

"Reported Destruction of Submarines" (ADM 239/26):
"July 25, 47°52'N, 11°44'W (Atlantic) Possibly slightly damaged
S.S. Baynyassa at 0600 sighted the periscope of a S/m (submarine) on port bow. Headed for S/m in order to ram and succeeded in hitting her with port bow. S/m came to surface 10 minutes later. Ship opened fire and S/m replied with two guns. Fourth shot appeared to hit S/m. Smoke boxes were burning and when smoke cleared away the S/m was seen with her forepart under water."

The reference in the Obituary to Captain Murray having "commanded fuel tankers" gave rise to the erroneous assumption he did it with a tanker  :-[

I have attached the Intimation of his death from the Glasgow Herald of 18 and 19 March 1929

Chiad Fhear