Author Topic: Smith, Elizabeth, Northumberland  (Read 1377 times)

Offline RNS

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Smith, Elizabeth, Northumberland
« on: Sunday 18 February 18 16:40 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

I am looking for a record of Elizabeth Smith, age 66, who died in Homer's House nr Warden Northumberland in 1803. All I have is a tantalizing hand-written note on a genealogy file for Joseph Hedley who also lived in Homer's House, but my search of the Warden Parish Register proved fruitless for her. I wonder where the previous genealogist could have found that information? Any help gratefully received.
Hedley, Herdman

Online emeltom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Smith, Elizabeth, Northumberland
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 18 February 18 18:53 GMT (UK) »
The entry for the burial is on Freereg.

Elizabeth Smith age 66 died 23 Feb 1803 buried 25 Feb 1803. Residence Newbrough Omers House.

Emeltom
Smith Tiplady Boulton Branthwaite King Miller Woolfall Bretherton Archer and many more

Offline RNS

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 18 February 18 19:49 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Emeltom, I'm scratching my head a wee bit though because Newbrough suggests out past Fourstones, doesn't it? So does Omers House = Homer's House on Homer's Lane that runs alongside the North Tyne in Warden Parish?
Hedley, Herdman

Online emeltom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 18 February 18 19:58 GMT (UK) »
Unfortunately I live on the otherside of the country and don't know Northumberland at all, so can't help you there. All I can do is pass on the information I find.

Emeltom
Smith Tiplady Boulton Branthwaite King Miller Woolfall Bretherton Archer and many more

Offline RNS

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 18 February 18 20:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi Emeltom, not a problem. I appreciate the help you have given me.
Hedley, Herdman

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copywrite on all census material,
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 18 February 18 22:47 GMT (UK) »
why can I not attach a map here on your post

Fryers map of 1820 is excellent you can see exactly where Homers House is
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 18 February 18 23:05 GMT (UK) »
It will be interesting to see his cottage at Beamish
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline RNS

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 19 February 18 06:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi Radcliff, thanks. I have some maps showing the location of Homer's House and I've been to the site. I was also at Beamish a couple of weeks ago and from what I have seen the cottage will be very atmospheric when finished. My problem here though is if Omers House is Homer's House. It is intuitive to say they are, but the addition of Newbrough makes me want to check at least twice or find some corroboration.
Hedley, Herdman

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 19 February 18 08:58 GMT (UK) »
looking at an earlier map 1769,I can see Homers Road  or what was later called this,but not his cottage the  ancient cross is marked by 1820 it is but no visable sighns of there being another property of that name marked

but if you look at Speeds map of 1610 you will see marked Owmers which is not on Homers Road but on the left fork of the road on any map toward Hadon Bridge

as I am unable to post the maps, if you could find the Speeds map of Fourstones for 1610 and the Fryers map showing Fourstones, of 1820 you can see what I am trying to explain