Author Topic: 1898 Gobbitt wedding in rural Suffolk, England  (Read 1844 times)

Offline gobbitt

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
1898 Gobbitt wedding in rural Suffolk, England
« on: Sunday 18 February 18 18:02 GMT (UK) »
My great-grandparents Henry Moyse Gobbitt and Ruth Elizabeth Jane Minns were married in the village of Bredfield, near Woodbridge, on 17 October 1898. Despite the damage, their wedding photo provides a useful snapshot of the styles of hats and dresses worn for special occasions by the families of farmers and schoolteachers in Suffolk at that time. Two of the older women (the groom's mother, aged 48, and possibly her husband's octogenarian aunt) appear to be the most reluctant to abandon the wider "leg-of-mutton" sleeves that had been more fashionable in the middle of the decade.

The wedding caught the attention of the local press, which unfortunately muddled the names and outfits of the bridesmaids, but thanks to the Woodbridge Reporter of 20 October 1898 (p. 5, col. 3) we can see that two of them (Ruth's sister Carrie Minns and Henry's sister Maydie Gobbitt, sitting at the front) wore dresses of white alpaca, with white hats trimmed to match, while those standing behind the "happy pair" (Ruth's sister Nellie Minns and Bessie Adams, presumably a friend) were dressed in stone blue silk. The bride herself "wore a dress of white Bengaline silk, with veil and orange blossoms, and carried a lovely white bouquet".

Many of the guests are listed in the attached table. The people in the back row (the tallest of whom, E8, has a nasty brown stain above his head) probably include members of the family of Robert Holmes White of Boulge Hall (1834-1901). Several other gift-givers named in the newspapers have not yet been identified in the photo.

David

Offline Wiggy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • coloured by Gadget
    • View Profile
Re: 1898 Gobbitt wedding in rural Suffolk, England
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 18 February 18 20:27 GMT (UK) »
That is some photo David!!    :D 8)

Are you asking for anything, or just showing us a wonderful picture of fashions of the period?   The expression on the groom's face is quite something!! ;)

I am trying to get my head around dresses of white alpaca in that day and age. 

Wiggy 
Gaunt, Ransom, McNally, Stanfield, Kimberley. (Tasmania)
Brown, Johnstone, Eskdale, Brand  (Dumfriesshire,  Scotland)
Booth, Bruerton, Deakin, Wilkes, Kimberley
(Warwicks, Staffords)
Gaunt (Yorks)
Percy, Dunning, Hyne, Grigg, Farley (Devon, UK)
Duncan (Fife, Devon), Hugh, Blee (Cornwall)
Green, Mansfield, (Herts)
Cavenaugh, Ransom (Middlesex)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.

Offline ymfoster

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 18 February 18 21:40 GMT (UK) »
A slight clean up,  :)

Yvonne
Restorers may use my restores to colour, acknowledgement appreciated.

Mostly England - <br />Walne Nfk - Argent Barritt Hammond Sfk - Asprey Comber Cribb Gundrey Higgs Plaw Sewell Sumption Sry - Baldwin Bull Nth -  Brumfield Dufty London Wor -  Calverley Greenhalgh Lan - Dodson Stainsby NRY - Denison WRY - Whittle Yks - Dormer Mdx - Felmingham Eng - Grecian Nbl -  Hayse Mass US - Jenner Ounstead Weeding Ssx - McDonald Skye - Campbell McIndoe McMillan Inv - Window Gls

Offline Handypandy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 18 February 18 21:51 GMT (UK) »
......and another..

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 18 February 18 23:47 GMT (UK) »
What an amazing gathering with so many different styles on display. Great descriptive write up too. Love it  8)
Thanks for sharing.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline gobbitt

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 19 February 18 10:21 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks to Yvonne and Handypandy: I imagine there were more smiling faces in the group after the photographer finally said he was happy with the shot, but you've cheered them up very nicely. :)

And hello to Wiggy and Carol: I'm glad to know you find my folks as fascinating as I do! My main motivation was to share the picture for reference. Ideally, I'd like to see a readily accessible database of dated images, which I expect would be asking too much of RootsChat. :(

David

Offline Wiggy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • coloured by Gadget
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 19 February 18 20:16 GMT (UK) »
There are plenty of good books on the subject though, David!   ;) 

Possibly not in RC's province.    :-\

I am not being rude, just observant. Do you think the older woman on the left had had smallpox?   

Wiggy    :)
Gaunt, Ransom, McNally, Stanfield, Kimberley. (Tasmania)
Brown, Johnstone, Eskdale, Brand  (Dumfriesshire,  Scotland)
Booth, Bruerton, Deakin, Wilkes, Kimberley
(Warwicks, Staffords)
Gaunt (Yorks)
Percy, Dunning, Hyne, Grigg, Farley (Devon, UK)
Duncan (Fife, Devon), Hugh, Blee (Cornwall)
Green, Mansfield, (Herts)
Cavenaugh, Ransom (Middlesex)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 19 February 18 21:24 GMT (UK) »

I am not being rude, just observant. Do you think the older woman on the left had had smallpox?   

I thought it might have been a spotted veil  but, close up, it does look like a nasty rash :-\

Lots of books and articles and online resources for dating, David, and it's usually very difficult to pinpoint a specific year. This is why we usually give a range.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 19 February 18 23:15 GMT (UK) »
There are plenty of good books on the subject though, David!   ;) 

Possibly not in RC's province.    :-\

I wondered about that too Wiggy but I think Gadget is right in her first assumption that it is a veil...the spots are in her hair if you look closely.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU