Author Topic: Johnston St, Belfast 1901 census - which Townland?  (Read 1800 times)

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Johnston St, Belfast 1901 census - which Townland?
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 18 February 18 21:31 GMT (UK) »
“To lose one family may be regarded as a misfortune; to lose both looks like carelessness.”
Oscar Wilde sort of

Online Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 19 February 18 05:38 GMT (UK) »
“To lose one family may be regarded as a misfortune; to lose both looks like carelessness.”
Oscar Wilde sort of

:-) They actually belong to my husband, so perhaps I should have had background checks done prior to saying 'I do' 44 years ago!

Boo

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 19 February 18 09:10 GMT (UK) »
Is there someone can manually check the census for you? I had a similar problem a few years ago with a missing street in Londonderry, that various other records placed a family in at timescale. A kind Rootschat member checked the original census records in Dublin and was able to find the family in the expected street.

When digitised, a number of records were missed, sometimes whole streets, but often these can be found in the originals.
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Online Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 19 February 18 10:26 GMT (UK) »
Thanks scotmum, someone is going to check to see if the missing one from Co Wicklow is in the orginals in Dublin (if access to the originals is allowed, we'll see when he has time to go).

This one though I can't even find the street, so until I can pin that down I can't ask anyone to check.

Boo

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 19 February 18 10:34 GMT (UK) »
Townland/Street....   Johnston

DED....     Smithfield Ward

Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Online Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 19 February 18 12:26 GMT (UK) »
Townland/Street....   Johnston

DED....     Smithfield Ward

Thanks hallmark
Yes I can browse to Smithfield Ward in 1911, it shows it has 33 townlands/streets and one of them is Johnston St.

Browsing to the same ward in 1901 shows only 11 townlands/streets , none of which is Johnston St.

This is confusing me enormously!

Boo

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 19 February 18 15:04 GMT (UK) »

Browsing to the same ward in 1901 shows only 11 townlands/streets , none of which is Johnston St.

This is confusing me enormously!

Boo

1901 has Smithfield Ward as you say above but it also has Smithfield which if you look at the images of the House and building returns is also Smithfield Ward so that greatly increases the number of streets, not that it helps you any.
I've gone through image by image (they are all in alphabetical order on the reels) so I looked from the start of  Irwin Street to Kennedy's Entry and there was nothing there that isn't listed on the site
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Antrim/Smithfield/

The only extra thing I found on Smithfield Ward was Smithfield Market after Smithfield but there is no one living there.

Online Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 19 February 18 16:36 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Sinann, that sounds like a lot of images to look through and I really appreciate the time you spent.

Sometimes things just plain aren't there to find, but the help I have had means at least I've given it my best shot.

Boo

Offline City Hall

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 19 February 18 17:36 GMT (UK) »
Tickettyboo,
FYI
I know it doesn't help your search, but the Belfast Street Directory for 1901 shows the occupant of 2 Johnston Street is recorded as Hugh Cochran(no final E) a plumber by trade.
Also, there is a facility on the National Archives of Ireland version of the 1901 census to 'report any error in transcription'. You should consider informing them,via this link, that the 1901 census return for Johnston Street,Belfast has not been transcribed. You never know, they may not be aware of this fact.

Good luck.
Paul.