Author Topic: The [Church of Ireland] Doherty's of Londonderry  (Read 1504 times)

Offline captainbeecher

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
The [Church of Ireland] Doherty's of Londonderry
« on: Sunday 18 February 18 19:40 GMT (UK) »
Doherty was predominantly a catholic surname but I'm trying to track down the Church of Ireland Dohertys who feature in the 1901 census and then disappear in 1911. Mother, Sarah was born circa 1859. In 1901 she was recently widowed by the death of husband, William. Most of her children still lived with her at 10 Kennedy Street. This included my gt grandmother, Mary, who would marry John Love in 1904. Her siblings in 1901 were 21 yr old William, Sarah [20], James [19], Richard [18], Cassie [15], John [13], Robert [10], Susan [4], Eveline [3] and Samuel [1]. Mary is easy to find in 1911 but the rest of the family aren't, suggesting possible emigration. I've not found them in Britain or on passenger lists. Only clue so far is the WWI army diaries. Mary's husband, John was killed in November 1916 and the report of his death stated that he died shortly after parting company from his brother in law, Sgt Doherty. It's not known which of his brother's in law this was as it could have been any of four. Sarah Doherty's eldest son in the 1901 census, William was a stoker. There is a Stoker William Doherty on the Londonderry war memorial, married to Nellie Doherty of Patrick Street but I don't know if this is the same person. With six children aged 11-15 I thought it would have been relatively straight forward to find this family in 1911 but have struggled. Any information anyone has that might help is much appreciated.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: The [Church of Ireland] Doherty's of Londonderry
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 18 February 18 19:47 GMT (UK) »
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01llr/  gets you all C of I Doherty born L/derry 1911 census
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline captainbeecher

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 18 February 18 21:37 GMT (UK) »
Yep, that's them. Many thanks. I'd searched as Docherty but wouldn't have thought of trying Daugherty.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 18 February 18 21:45 GMT (UK) »
I gave up on the name and the first names and the religion and marital status and the age, I'd tried them all together and separate and then thought to just try the same street as 1901.

Offline lmgnz

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 09 March 18 07:19 GMT (UK) »
I liked the CofI Doherty list that Hallmark produced so borrowed that and changed religion to Presbyterian. Which brought up the Cromkill family that I suspect are related to my 2x gt grandfather Henry Doherty of Coolkeeragh family. Also a few location overlaps with the CoI list.

Then I tried the Dougherty spelling my grandmother's family used but her family did not appear. Maybe one modification too many?  The family do appear at Creevagh in 1911 if I simply search by my gt Aunt Violet Dougherty.

I cannot see any overlap with captainbeecher family though.

Another variant that might be useful Dogherty.

Cheers

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 09 March 18 09:41 GMT (UK) »
I liked the CofI Doherty list that Hallmark produced so borrowed that and changed religion to Presbyterian. Which brought up the Cromkill family that I suspect are related to my 2x gt grandfather Henry Doherty of Coolkeeragh family. Also a few location overlaps with the CoI list.

Then I tried the Dougherty spelling my grandmother's family used but her family did not appear. Maybe one modification too many?  The family do appear at Creevagh in 1911 if I simply search by my gt Aunt Violet Dougherty.

I cannot see any overlap with captainbeecher family though.

Another variant that might be useful Dogherty.

Cheers

You can even leave Surname out and look  for     Presbyterian ...  Born Londonderry

and just sort them by Surname and go to  those starting with D

1911  http://www.rootschat.com/links/01lpe/

1901  http://www.rootschat.com/links/01lpf/

If there is another Surname... Smith  for example you.... can just go through to those that start with S  and look through them
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline lmgnz

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 09 March 18 12:14 GMT (UK) »
Aha. I think I just worked out why my grandmother's Dougherty family don't show up in Hallmark's search. They recorded their Co of origin as "Co Derry" and in Hallmark's search only those recorded as "Londonderry" are captured. These little traps can trip you up.