Author Topic: William FORTUNE, born 1830, London  (Read 2356 times)

Offline BAC3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: William FORTUNE, born 1830, London
« Reply #18 on: Monday 19 February 18 10:20 GMT (UK) »
Good Morning Everyone,

Thank you for all the information, which I am enjoying collating.   I am extremely grateful.   I can now with some confidence complete my Biography for William FORTUNE and in turn pass the narrative to the other website I mentioned with due acknowledgement to RootsChat.

You may wish to know, although probably not be surprised, that William FORTUNE was a thoroughly bad lot.   In 1850, in concert with four other inmates, he was indicted for attempting to set fire to Parkhurst Prison.   Then, after being transported to WA, he re-offended and was sentenced in 1856 at Perth to another 7 years transportation.  He had earlier been acquitted at Perth of larceny in 1855 :o

Once again, thank you, take care,

BAC3

Offline willsy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 19 February 18 20:27 GMT (UK) »
There is a piece in the Brirish newspaper,

Morning Advertiser 20 September 1847

was unsure if you had come across it but happy to post it if you would like to add to the record

Willsy

Ward, Newark (Nottingham), Leicester, Scarborough
Warren, Northampton, Leicester
Moore, Leicestershire
Hunt, Leicestershire
Kirkman, Leicestershire
Hurst, Leicester, Stowmarket
Kendrick, Leicestershire
Eld, Leicestershire
Essex Edey/Eady Elsden/Elsdon

Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright from National Archives

Offline BAC3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 19 February 18 20:59 GMT (UK) »
Thank you willsy,

I have transcripts of both his Old Bailey and Winchester trials, together with newspaper reports.
The attempt to set fire to Parkhurst Prison was quite a famous news item at the time.

For now,

BAC3

Offline mjg1916

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 29 November 18 06:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,
I am a descendant of Annie Maria O'Donnell.  After William Fortune shot through and deserted Annie and the four children, Annie had two more children to a father unknown; Annie Jane and Louisa Caroline.  Im the GG Grand-daughter of Annie Jane.  Annie Maria died in 1875 and the youngest four children were placed in an orphanage.  I have no idea where William Fortune ended up.
Cheers Mel
Doyle, Lacy, Lacey, Giddens, Githens and variations Co.Wicklow. Thompson, Thomson, Little, Elliot, Co.Tyrone. McLaughlin, Carlin, Co. Donegal. Ritchie, Harvie, Henderson, Paisley Renfrewshire

Offline BAC3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 29 November 18 16:34 GMT (UK) »
mjg1916,

I have sent you a Personal Message with my email address so that we can continue the conversation about William FORTUNE.

For now,

BAC3