Author Topic: Is a Family Tree Maker Update Necessary  (Read 1859 times)

Offline AmandaJ

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Is a Family Tree Maker Update Necessary
« on: Sunday 18 February 18 23:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi can anyone help, I have been using version 2005 for a number of years. Do I need to update and if I do does my data get copied automatically or manually across to newer version?

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Is a Family Tree Maker Update Necessary
« Reply #1 on: Monday 19 February 18 09:46 GMT (UK) »
I have a family tree programme which I have had for a lot  longer than you have had yours, I decided to update it about 10 years ago, wrong move on my part, luckily I moved just a small tree I had, thought that would be easier just in case I lost the lot, I didn't like the new version so dispensed with it, I do realise I will need to update my own at some time, what to do, well I don't really know at this point, so be a little wary first of all.

Louisa Maud
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 19 February 18 11:27 GMT (UK) »
Don't ever ever ever try doing anything with your family tree data unless you have a backup copy, preferably a backup copy and one off site, i. e.  with a friend or on cloud storage.

The only exception to this is if your data is totally unimportant to you or if you can easily recreate it all.

Martin

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 19 February 18 12:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi can anyone help, I have been using version 2005 for a number of years. Do I need to update and if I do does my data get copied automatically or manually across to newer version?

It depends! From what I understand earlier FTMs are no longer supported so if anything goes wrong, you're on your own. Also the only FTM that syncs with Ancestry is FTM17, but if you don't want that and are happy with what you have, stick with it.

When ever I've updated data has transferred automatically, but that could be because I've always done it via Ancestry, although as others have said, I've always backed up first just in case.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Pheno

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 19 February 18 13:09 GMT (UK) »
I went from FTM2006 to FTM2012 then to FTM2017.  They are all pretty much the same with a few tweaks.  However, as has been said up to FTM2016 was produced and supported by Ancestry but for 2017 onwards this software has been taken over by Mackiev and previous versions are no longer supported by Ancestry so if you do have a problem it may be that your current data won't be retrievable.

However, your current FTM programme should produce a backup version which, once the Mackiev software is loaded, should automatically upload to the new programme and be viewable in exactly the same manner as currently.

FTM2017 doesn't load very well with any version of Windows prior to 10 though so be careful of that.

Pheno
Austin/Austen - Sussex & London
Bond - Berkshire & London
Bishop - Sussex & Kent
Holland - Essex
Nevitt - Cheshire & Staffordshire
Wray - Yorkshire

Offline Flattybasher9

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Manners cost nothing, and are worth the effort.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 19 February 18 14:02 GMT (UK) »
There is also now an update for the 2017 version to raise it to "(VERSION 23.1.0.480)"

https://support.mackiev.com/611348-Whats-New-in-the-FTM-2017-Update

Malky

Offline weste

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 21 February 18 11:01 GMT (UK) »
I've got the new update to install. I 'm hoping everything goes smoothly.

Offline Jon_ni

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 21 February 18 15:58 GMT (UK) »
you have to purchase version 2017 it is not a free upgrade for anything pre-2017; this weeks update is free to those already utilising FTM2017

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 21 February 18 16:45 GMT (UK) »
In general, older software will run pretty well on newer versions of Windows, so if you are happy with your current genealogy software, why upgrade it?

Windows has a "Compatibility Mode" for when programs require an older version. Right-click the program's .exe file and select Properties, and there is a tab to play with. In extreme cases you might have to select the Compatibility Mode for the Setup program as well.

There is very little this can't cope with. The exception is old MS-DOS based software - 16-bit stuff - which will not run at all under 64-bit versions of Windows. It will, however run under 32-bit Windows 10. Changing from 64-bit to 32-bit, or vice versa, requires a re-install, but the Windows licence covers both.
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.