Author Topic: Ann Okell/Okele  (Read 1630 times)

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
Re: Ann Okell/Okele
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 20 February 18 14:31 GMT (UK) »
I see you come from Sale, was it Sale Grammar for Girls you went to?  My husband went to the boys school which has now been demolished and the land sold for housing - against a specific clause in the original sale of the land which said it had to be used for educational purposes - the school is now mixed with the girls school, whether it's on the same site or another one, I have no idea.

Alternatively, if Altrincham Grammar for Girls was at the top of the hill, the other side could have been the bottom of the hill, Culceth Hall.  My best friend's sister went there as she didn't pass her 11+.

Offline SwissGill

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 20 February 18 16:02 GMT (UK) »
I went to Culcheth Hall and Joan to Altrincham Grammar. Hence "Miss Okell"!! I attended a little private school on Broad Road, Sale, run by the Churchills and then went on to Culcheth in 1949. I was a fidget and Miss Churchil thought it would be good for me at Culcheth as they had lots of sport in their  curriculum.

Sale Grammar has a lot of photograps from years gone by on their new Website.
Whitlow: Witton-cum-Twambrooks/Northwich
Bowers: Marthall, Siddington, Cheshire
Owen: Cheshire
Pfisterer (Fisher): West Riding Yks 1850-1875
Fisher (Pfisterer): Des Moines, Iowa 1886-
Wallis: West Riding Yks/Des Moines, Iowa, 1892-
Heinzmann: Hull/Northwich
Pfisterer, Heinzmann, Künzelsau, Baden-Württemberg
Brueck: Kocherstetten B-W
Volpp: Morsbach B-W
Schluchterer: Künzelsau, B-W

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 21 February 18 09:40 GMT (UK) »
I remember you mentioning in the distant past, that you had gone to Culcheth Hall, did it stop you fidgeting?  I'll look at the Sale Grammar website, I might find a photo of my husband and his brothers, none of whom were there at the same time.  His half brother was there for 5 years, then his brother  was there for 5 years, then my husband went and was there for 7 years (through the upper 6th).

As you are 2 years younger than me, I wonder if you knew Geraldine L******, who lived in Lymm, she was the sister of my best friend.  I've not put her full name as I imagine she is still alive, but I'm sure there were not many Geraldines.  Is your friend Joan the same age as you, I can't remember any Joan's in my school year.