Author Topic: Legal Advice?  (Read 3399 times)

Offline Alex Edge

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Legal Advice?
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 15 March 18 13:41 GMT (UK) »
Completed

Offline Alex Edge

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 13 May 18 12:23 BST (UK) »
Beardmore v. Gregory and Smith v. Gregory and others - Chancery Court 1865

A little while back member's kindly helped me get a start into this matter.  I've now got the documents from the National Archive and worked out - by the Interrogatories and some of the Answers - a sequence of events.  The documents I have so far obtained, (Nat.Arch. and Law Reports) are all about the opening series of events.   I would now like to know how matters were resolved.   

Can member's offer me any advice on where to search for further information on the eventual outcome of the cases.

Many thanks - Alex Edge

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 14 May 18 20:36 BST (UK) »
Can member's offer me any advice on where to search for further information on the eventual outcome of the cases.

Assuming the case got as far as a final judgment, the outcome should be recorded in the Entry Book of Decrees and Orders for the year when the case was closed. These books are at TNA in class C 33. They are not online, and they are not indexed online (for this period). But many cases were abandoned (or settled) before they reached the decree stage, so there may be no record of the outcome.

If there was a final decree, and if it was 'enrolled' (not all were), you might find it in the decree rolls in series C 78, some of which are online and calendared at AALT.
http://www.uh.edu/waalt/index.php/Chancery_Final_Decrees

I had a quick look in these calendars for 1865-1868 and found nothing that seemed to relate to your case. But the case may have lasted much longer than that, so it might be worth your looking later, perhaps guided by the last year referenced in the documents that you hold?

Failing anything in these decree rolls, you would have to search the C 33 entry books in person at Kew, or have someone go on your behalf. There are paper indexes on the open shelves in the Map Room. They are basic (surnames only), and it can be a long-drawn-out search. There may be nothing at all, or conversely you may find there are several interim decrees to get through before you reach a final decisive one.

I assume you've read the standard TNA Research Guide ...

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/help-with-your-research/research-guides/chancery-equity-suits-after-1558/#2-the-records (see esp. 2.8 and 2.9).

ADDED - Sorry, I forgot to mention the Cause Books in C 32. If you are visiting Kew, these are a useful starting-point for searching for decrees at this sort of period.
http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C3593

Offline Alex Edge

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 15 May 18 11:33 BST (UK) »
Bookbox - Thank you for your clear and comprehensive response.  Although I read through TNA
information before registering I didn't find the page associated with your link; the information covers much that is relevant to my research. Thanks for everything, it's all very much appreciated.  Looks like I will have to reactivate my Senior Railcard and make some journeys to TNA!

Alex Edge

Offline Alex Edge

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 02 August 18 15:02 BST (UK) »
Completed