Author Topic: Hamilton Militia?  (Read 686 times)

Offline JAKnighton

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hamilton Militia?
« on: Monday 19 February 18 19:07 GMT (UK) »
According to a Scottish poor law record from 1880 my great-great grandfather Hugh McMillan was part of the 'Hamilton Militia'.

A quick Google search isn't yielding any specific results (a lot referring to Canada and the American president) so I'm curious as to what this means exactly?

All of the other records I own that involve my great-great grandfather make no mention of military service. His name was Hugh McMillan, born 1858 in Portnahaven, Argyll and he died in Glasgow in 1902. His occupation was a Carter.
Knighton in Huntingdonshire and Northamptonshire
Tweedie in Lanarkshire and Co. Down
Rodgers in Durham and Co. Monaghan
McMillan in Lanarkshire and Argyllshire

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Hamilton Militia?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 19 February 18 21:08 GMT (UK) »
There are certainly a number of newspaper articles in the period 1880-1889 (decade taken as an example) referring to the Hamilton Militia.  In an 1881 organisation of the Scottish regiments defining the regular battalions and their militia battalions, Hamilton is listed as connected with 4th (Militia) Battalion Cameronians and 4th (Militia) Battalion HLI.

Not uncommon for non military folk such as would compile poor law records and newspaper reports to be imprecise about military titles and "Hamilton Militia" could well be the way for them to describe "the militia in Hamilton".  The militia service of course was not regular service so men would continue their civilian employment while training periodically and at an annual camp. 

Where was he living in 1880?  One may be able to connect a "Hamilton Militia" with where he was.

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline JAKnighton

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 19 February 18 23:15 GMT (UK) »
There are certainly a number of newspaper articles in the period 1880-1889 (decade taken as an example) referring to the Hamilton Militia.  In an 1881 organisation of the Scottish regiments defining the regular battalions and their militia battalions, Hamilton is listed as connected with 4th (Militia) Battalion Cameronians and 4th (Militia) Battalion HLI.

Not uncommon for non military folk such as would compile poor law records and newspaper reports to be imprecise about military titles and "Hamilton Militia" could well be the way for them to describe "the militia in Hamilton".  The militia service of course was not regular service so men would continue their civilian employment while training periodically and at an annual camp. 

Where was he living in 1880?  One may be able to connect a "Hamilton Militia" with where he was.

MaxD

Thanks for the reply. According to the 1881 census he was living at 191 Allander Street in Maryhill, a suburb of Glasgow. He lived in that general area for the majority of his life so I'm confident he was there in 1880. There is the town of Hamilton but it is on the opposite side of Glasgow to Maryhill.

I've also looked at the birth records of his two oldest children who were born in 1880 and 1881 and there is no mention of being in the militia on either record, he's just recorded as a carter.
Knighton in Huntingdonshire and Northamptonshire
Tweedie in Lanarkshire and Co. Down
Rodgers in Durham and Co. Monaghan
McMillan in Lanarkshire and Argyllshire

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 20 February 18 09:42 GMT (UK) »
Indeed, records such as the census and birth certificates would describe him by his occupation - as I said, the militia were civilians who soldiered part time only.

If the poor law record is the same man, then why they recorded him as militia  - your guess is as good as mine!

Frustrating though that apart from newspaper reoports clearl identifying a Hamilton Militia, like  you, I find no reference to them (yet).

MaxD

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk

Offline zeebra

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 28 February 18 22:02 GMT (UK) »
I'm sure someone will correct if I'm wrong, but I'm sure The Cameronians were based in Hamilton. (They certainly had barracks there). The HLI, I think, were based in Glasgow at Maryhill barracks. This may be where there is a connction.

Bill.
Crossan - Lanarkshire,
Millsopp - Armagh - Lanarkshire,
Carroll - Sligo - Glasgow,
Donnelly - Donegal - Fort William - Glasgow, O'Donnell - Donegal,
Graham - Donegal - Renfrewshire - Lanarkshire, Gilchrist - Portobello - Lanarkshire - Whitehaven, Scott - Portobello - Lanarkshire

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 01 March 18 09:55 GMT (UK) »
The HLI (in 1880 still the 74th Foot) were indeed in Glasgow in that year and had a militia battalion  before the 1881 reforms as did the Cameronians.  The Headquarters/depot  of both regiments was in Hamilton so the connection could indeed have been that the man, a carter in civilian life, also served in the militia in Glasgow in the 74th whose HQ was Hamilton and the incorrect terminology was being used.

This has to be (hopefully educated) guesswork though.

Has the possibility that the poor law record man is not the same one as the carter on the birth certificates been discounted?

MaxD

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk