Author Topic: 1889 diary p19 faithful to him  (Read 1638 times)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 1889 diary p19 faithful to him
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 20 February 18 17:09 GMT (UK) »
Taken out the line and enlarged:

(also, didn't he write some of his letters to his son in French?)

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Deskman

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 20 February 18 17:23 GMT (UK) »
Just in case it helps...

Offline bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 20 February 18 17:42 GMT (UK) »
Wild theory:  maybe the "dot"  for an "i" was just an emphatic splotch made when he drew the long cross.  If you remove the dot and the line.... can you make out "words" ?

Offline Karen McDonald

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • ** THINK POSITIVE! **
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 20 February 18 20:59 GMT (UK) »
A bit off the wall, but could it be a Lincolnshire dialect word hinch - primarily a verb 'to be mean/miserly', but also a noun, 'meanness'?
(Source: Joseph Wright's English Dialect Dictionary)

I had been thinking "hinch" but couldn't find a meaning for it.

I'm not convinced about the last 2 letters being "ds" - there is only one single stroke for the vertical bit of the "d". That would be fairly unusual, even for our writer.

Hmmm... (yet again  :))
McDonald MacDonald M'Donald McGregor MacGregor M'Gregor Twilley Wells Fentiman Carrington Rowe Needham Mitchell Mackie Collingwood Fuller Maides Shilton Hagon Budd

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 21 February 18 11:35 GMT (UK) »
A couple of further thoughts:

In the same line, there's an unusual letter/mark at the start of 'married'. The best I can make of it is that he started to write 'faithful' (possibly) then changed his mind. My point is that the writer wasn't averse to amending things as he went along, so there could be some odd letters here and there.

Second, on looking more closely, I'm not now sure that the last letter is 'h'. Where an 'h' is written with a careful clockwise stroke in the second part of the letter (see 'has' in the same line, also 'her husband' in the inserted bit), it's close to the upright stem. Where it's more hurried and has an anti-clockwise stroke (as in 'who', 'Chesterfield'), there's more of a gap. Here we have a clockwise stroke and a gap, which doesn't match either form.

I'm therefore wondering if the word could be minds, as suggested by Gadget above, perhaps as a last-minute amendment to something like 'thoughts', whose 't' remains.

This may be a bit far-fetched, but I'm currently preferring it to 'hinch' (especially if he wasn't from Lincolnshire).
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Deskman

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 21 February 18 14:34 GMT (UK) »
Thanks again folks,

I find the hinch proposal interesting but unconvincing.

Karen McDonald's observation about the single strike of the 'd' like letter is an argument fo it not being a d. I notice that in reply 19 the ascender is not as simple as a single stroke. The the lower part is doubled.

I ask myself if and how do the two single stroke ascenders and the massive cross relate to the word?

:-\

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 21 February 18 14:54 GMT (UK) »
A final thought on this as I think we seem to be stumped!

I don't think it's hinch and I don't think the penultimate letter is a t.   I note that the diarist seems to have made a considerable number of mistakes/amendments/additions in this excerpt. Now I'm wondering if he started to write two minds , then corrected himself  and it came out as tminds

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Deskman

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 21 February 18 17:55 GMT (UK) »
hinch, hints, minds, reminds, words... plenty of options...

Needing to make a decision I'll go for minds.

Thanks to everyone for exercising yourselves over this.