Author Topic: unknown device on my wifi network  (Read 1831 times)

Offline familydar

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
unknown device on my wifi network
« on: Tuesday 20 February 18 11:12 GMT (UK) »
I've just added a device to my wifi network and can see it, but briefly I could also see a device that is nothing to do with me - lenovo tab2a10-70f.  I wasn't able to explore it, all I could see was its MAC address.  Does this suggest that someone has managed to hack in to my network?  I thought my router password was pretty secure.

Something that may be related - for as long as I can remember I've found my broadband can get a bit shaky when certain vehicles pass the house, generally diesel-engined lorries and vans, worse if they're parked with engine running while they deliver something to a neighbour.  It makes no sense because my bb is wired to the house and the computer is wired in using the ethernet cable, not wifi.  For those of you who remember the old days when an elderly vehicle with inadequate HT suppression used to interfere with the TV signal, that's sort of what I liken it to.

What I'm wondering is if this "feature" of a transient hitch-hiker has always been there.  With all three computers I've had since I've lived in the house, two bb suppliers and several routers.  I've also noticed it with the computers at a local commercial premises and the library.

Is it me?

Jane :-)
ALLEN
BARR, BARRATT, BERRY, BRADLEY,BRAMLEY,BRISTOW,BROWN,BUGBIRD,BUTLER
CAIN,CARR,CHAPMAN,CHARLES,CH*LTON,CHESTER,COCKETT
COLLASON,COLLYER,CORKERY
DARLING, DENYER,DICKERSON,DOLLING,DURBAN
FARMER,FURNELL
GIBSON,GILES,GROOMBRIDGE
HALL,HAMBIDGE,HARMES,HART,HICKS,HILL,HOLLOWAY
JACKSON
K*AT*S
LANCASTER,LINTON
MCDONALD,MCFADEN,MEARS,MILLARD
NICOLAS,NOAK,NORTH
PARFIT,PORTER
RIPPINGALE,ROBINS
SEARLE,SPENCER,STEDHAM
TYLER,TILLY,TUCKWELL
WADE,WAGER,WALKER,WATSON,WEBB,WITHRINGTON,WOOD

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
Re: unknown device on my wifi network
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 20 February 18 11:17 GMT (UK) »
What I'm wondering is if this "feature" of a transient hitch-hiker has always been there.  With all three computers I've had since I've lived in the house, two bb suppliers and several routers.  I've also noticed it with the computers at a local commercial premises and the library.

Is it me?

1)  Do you own or have you used a tablet ? (that's the reference to a lenovo tab) - if this "hitchhiker" is at every computer you use that would suggest that it is your device

2) Interference is possible if your Router is not properly shielded - although this is more likely to be experienced through wi-fi. Even cables in the house  electrical devices switching on and off can cause interference in older routers.

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 20 February 18 11:31 GMT (UK) »
It probably belongs to somebody in an adjacent house. If you try and connect to Wi-Fi on a bus you will see dozens of different devices due to the proximity of lots of different people. It is unlikely to be able to access your network without knowing your password. Right now I can see seven different devices, probably belonging to people in the converted flats next door.

Martin

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 20 February 18 11:34 GMT (UK) »
Have you had anyone visit who connected to your wifi?
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline familydar

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 20 February 18 11:48 GMT (UK) »
Falkyrn, yes I have a Fire tablet and it is switched on.  I did wonder if it was masquerading as the lenovo but I've only seen that particular foreigner once and if it was my Fire then surely it would either be there as long as it's switched on, or not at all because I've not worked out yet how to see it on the network (something else on the to-do list!).

Martin, it's not other wifi networks I'm concerned about, I can see my neighbours' sky and chromecast networks (the latter is unsecured), it's unknown devices piggybacking mine.

Groom - I wish   :'(
ALLEN
COLLASON,COLLYER,CORKERY
FARMER,FURNELL
GIBSON,GILES,GROOMBRIDGE
JACKSON
K*AT*S
LANCASTER,LINTON
NICOLAS,NOAK,NORTH
PARFIT,PORTER
RIPPINGALE,ROBINS
SEARLE,SPENCER,STEDHAM
TYLER,TILLY,TUCKWELL

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 20 February 18 12:03 GMT (UK) »
Depending upon who set up your system initially it is possible that this is a hangover from that BUT to be on the safe side you may want to consider resetting your Router password (this will affect your wifi devices)

Offline familydar

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 20 February 18 12:29 GMT (UK) »
That's what I was thinking......
ALLEN
COLLASON,COLLYER,CORKERY
FARMER,FURNELL
GIBSON,GILES,GROOMBRIDGE
JACKSON
K*AT*S
LANCASTER,LINTON
NICOLAS,NOAK,NORTH
PARFIT,PORTER
RIPPINGALE,ROBINS
SEARLE,SPENCER,STEDHAM
TYLER,TILLY,TUCKWELL

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 21 February 18 19:31 GMT (UK) »
Is this your router reporting the Lenovo when you ask in its admin pages what is connected? If it's just visible when you ask your PC what wifi networks are available, there's nothing to worry about.

If it is actually connected to your network, then it needs tracking down, and if it isn't yours, locking out of your network by changing the password.

Check all the boxes on your network, including Smart TVs.

Having changed the password, avoid the "Wifi Protected Setup" where you press a button on your router. It opens up a security hole which is easily exploited. You should turn it off in the menus of your router if at all possible.

Do remember that Windows 10 has a feature to allow your social media contacts to access your wifi without you telling them the password.
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline familydar

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 22 February 18 12:01 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Andrew.  I've been monitoring things this morning and there seem to be lots of devices that come and go and are definitely nothing to do with me so next step will be to change my wifi password.  I have been guilty of using the WPS button in the past as it's easy and I didn't realise it could pose a security risk.

Where will I find the unwanted Win10 feature you mention?  I've only recently started to use Win10 so I'm still blundering around.

ALLEN
COLLASON,COLLYER,CORKERY
FARMER,FURNELL
GIBSON,GILES,GROOMBRIDGE
JACKSON
K*AT*S
LANCASTER,LINTON