Author Topic: unknown device on my wifi network  (Read 1832 times)

Offline mike175

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: unknown device on my wifi network
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 22 February 18 13:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jane,

I think you probably want "Settings > Accounts > Email & app accounts", but as I never use any social media and wouldn't dream of allowing others to connect via my PC  :o I have no experience of that.

Just for clarity, are you seeing the 'hitch-hikers' in File Explorer, or in the router admin, as Andrew asked? If the latter, I think you should be able to block their MAC addresses, or just allow your own devices. Changing the password sounds like a good idea anyway.

Mike.
Baskervill - Devon, Foss - Hants, Gentry - Essex, Metherell - Devon, Partridge - Essex/London, Press - Norfolk/London, Stone - Surrey/Sussex, Stuttle - Essex/London, Wheate - Middlesex/Essex/Coventry/Oxfordshire/Staffs, Gibson - Essex, Wyatt - Essex/Kent

Offline familydar

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 22 February 18 15:03 GMT (UK) »
Seeing the hitch-hikers in both places, although because I can't refresh both places simultaneously I don't always see the same hitch-hiker in both places at the same time.

Mike, like you I don't use social media and thankfully email & app accounts shows only one email address.  I wish it didn't but I was required to give it when I was doing the original setup.

Jane :-)
ALLEN
BARR, BARRATT, BERRY, BRADLEY,BRAMLEY,BRISTOW,BROWN,BUGBIRD,BUTLER
CAIN,CARR,CHAPMAN,CHARLES,CH*LTON,CHESTER,COCKETT
COLLASON,COLLYER,CORKERY
DARLING, DENYER,DICKERSON,DOLLING,DURBAN
FARMER,FURNELL
GIBSON,GILES,GROOMBRIDGE
HALL,HAMBIDGE,HARMES,HART,HICKS,HILL,HOLLOWAY
JACKSON
K*AT*S
LANCASTER,LINTON
MCDONALD,MCFADEN,MEARS,MILLARD
NICOLAS,NOAK,NORTH
PARFIT,PORTER
RIPPINGALE,ROBINS
SEARLE,SPENCER,STEDHAM
TYLER,TILLY,TUCKWELL
WADE,WAGER,WALKER,WATSON,WEBB,WITHRINGTON,WOOD

Offline mike175

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 22 February 18 16:09 GMT (UK) »
If you are using your microsoft account to sign in to your computer, it can be changed to a Local Account so that you are not permanently logged in to microsoft while using the PC:

https://www.howtogeek.com/230543/how-to-revert-your-windows-10-account-to-a-local-one-after-the-windows-store-hijacks-it/

You can still access your microsoft emails or OneDrive, and the email address will still show under "Accounts used by other apps"

I don't see the sort of activity you describe, but that may be due to my rural location; I see them coming before they get close enough to access my wi-fi  ;D

Mike.
Baskervill - Devon, Foss - Hants, Gentry - Essex, Metherell - Devon, Partridge - Essex/London, Press - Norfolk/London, Stone - Surrey/Sussex, Stuttle - Essex/London, Wheate - Middlesex/Essex/Coventry/Oxfordshire/Staffs, Gibson - Essex, Wyatt - Essex/Kent

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 26 February 18 13:34 GMT (UK) »
The feature to share your password, called "WiFi Sense", ought to have been removed in the September 2016 update, but could have released your info to the wild before that.

I reckon a wifi password change is the way to go.
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline familydar

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 26 February 18 14:10 GMT (UK) »
Oh dear I've ended up in a right mess now!

A little while ago I followed the advice given by Falkyrn in reply 13 of this topic:  http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=786515.0 and I was happy with the result.

I've subsequently followed mike175's instructions in reply 12 below and now have the choice of two accounts which come up under the same name even through I thought I'd differentiated them, but I can only get signed in on the local one (identifying which is trial and error) and then only by entering my password (which is different from my m$ password).  That's even though the "require password" box is unchecked.

I think I now need to unpick it all but how?  I'm guessing it's got its k*s in a twist and if I'd changed it to a local account BEFORE switching off the password requirement it would probably be happy.

ALLEN
COLLASON,COLLYER,CORKERY
FARMER,FURNELL
GIBSON,GILES,GROOMBRIDGE
JACKSON
K*AT*S
LANCASTER,LINTON
MCDONALD,MCFADEN,MEARS,MILLARD
NICOLAS,NOAK,NORTH
PARFIT,PORTER
RIPPINGALE,ROBINS
SEARLE,SPENCER,STEDHAM
TYLER,TILLY,TUCKWELL
WADE,WAGER,WALKER,WATSON,WEBB,WITHRINGTON,WOOD

Offline familydar

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 26 February 18 14:42 GMT (UK) »
Update

I've now "unpicked" both changes and am back to only one account showing on startup, the m$ one, and it requiring a password.

When I've plucked up the courage I'll change it to log me in under a local account as per mike175's link but it won't be today!

ALLEN
COLLASON,COLLYER,CORKERY
FARMER,FURNELL
GIBSON,GILES,GROOMBRIDGE
JACKSON
K*AT*S
LANCASTER,LINTON