Author Topic: Please help date this photo and identify uniform, possibly Edwin James Aldred  (Read 444 times)

Offline iforani

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hi I copied this photo from one of my cousin's albums but no one knows who this person is nor when it was taken, so we would appreciate some help! It is possible that it is a photo of my grandfather, Edwin James Aldred born in Manchester in 1895 but I don't think that it is. My grandfather was in the merchant marines travelling on ships around Australia when he met and fell in love with my grandmother, after which he jumped ship. If anyone could help with identifying what this uniform is, it may provide some clues. Thanks! Deb  :)
McKay (Kildare, Ireland), Aldred (Manchester), Smith, Cooper (Kent), Howlett, Bodill, Atkins (Northamptonshire), Smart (UK, Africa), Brown, Bryant, Dixon, Walton

Offline jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
Re: Please help date this photo and identify uniform, possibly Edwin James Aldred
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 20 February 18 16:32 GMT (UK) »
Certainly post WW1 & probably 1920's. He looks 20-25.
So he's wearing a brass buttoned tunic style jacket with no insignia or braiding to indicate a rank or trade so I would suggest a ship's steward or possibly an hotel porter.
Warks:Ashford;Cadby;Clarke;Clifford;Cooke Copage;Easthope;
Edmonds;Felton;Colledge;Lutwyche;Mander(s);May;Poole;Withers.
Staffs.Edmonds;Addison;Duffield;Webb;Fisher;Archer
Salop:Easthope,Eddowes,Hoorde,Oteley,Vernon,Talbot,De Neville.
Notts.Clarke;Redfearne;Treece.
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.
Worcs.Coley;Mander;Sawyer.
Kings of Wessex & Scotland
Census information is Crown copyright,from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

Offline iforani

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Please help date this photo and identify uniform, possibly Edwin James Aldred
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 21 February 18 07:45 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, Jim for your opinion. My grandfather was a steward on a merchant marine ship so this would fit his profile. I will repost the photo with another one of him that I think you may have already seen and will ask people whether it could be the same man. I would value your opinion on this. I will mark this post as completed and am hopefully allowed to repost the same photo, with different name. I believe that this could be my grandfather when he was younger than the other photo as in the other one he had a receding hairline though this would put the photo at pre 1916 when you say it is after this. It could be one of my grandfather's brothers. Thank you!
McKay (Kildare, Ireland), Aldred (Manchester), Smith, Cooper (Kent), Howlett, Bodill, Atkins (Northamptonshire), Smart (UK, Africa), Brown, Bryant, Dixon, Walton