Author Topic: 55th Regiment of Foot.  (Read 264 times)

Offline patrish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Winter Wonderland
    • View Profile
55th Regiment of Foot.
« on: Tuesday 20 February 18 18:34 GMT (UK) »
I have a very early photograph of my Gt Grandafather who was given as a Private in the above regiment later  to become the 2nd Battalion The Border regiment.   

He has on his sleeve 4 upside down V.s and  above them 2 crossed rifles, can anyone tell me what this means please ?

Thank you  Patricia
this information is Crown Copyright. from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk   London Hall, Thurston Stanley, Phillips, Ayrton, White, Morrish, Smith.    West Ham/Barking Saint,Briggs,   Essex  Barker,   Hampshire  Kill, Kent Spong,   U.S.A Earp, Scotland/Cumbria Templeton, Devon Morrish, Chudley

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline bowman

• RootsChat Senior
  • Me in the woods 2004
    • View Profile
Re: 55th Regiment of Foot.
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 20 February 18 20:20 GMT (UK) »
The upside down 'V' s either GC (Good Conduct) stripes or Long Service stripes, the 2 crossed rifles signifies a marksman with the rifle.
BEARD; BAKER; TAYLOR; SMITH: BEER

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 20 February 18 20:32 GMT (UK) »
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline patrish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Winter Wonderland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 20 February 18 22:17 GMT (UK) »
Thank you both very much, that is very helpful

Patricia  :)
this information is Crown Copyright. from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk   London Hall, Thurston Stanley, Phillips, Ayrton, White, Morrish, Smith.    West Ham/Barking Saint,Briggs,   Essex  Barker,   Hampshire  Kill, Kent Spong,   U.S.A Earp, Scotland/Cumbria Templeton, Devon Morrish, Chudley