Author Topic: Waller Lancashire  (Read 754 times)

Offline sam-ann

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Waller Lancashire
« on: Tuesday 20 February 18 19:21 GMT (UK) »
please can you help me? I am trying to find the marriage of Edward Waller b. 1707 lancs, to Esther?

Edward was the son of William and Agnes? of Lancashire. Edward and Esther had a son john b1741 Bishopwearmouth County Durham 1741, John married Eleanor? they had a daughter Jane b 1792 Durham.
thank you for your help.
Sam

Offline Tall Al

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Waller Lancashire
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 21 February 18 16:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

There is a marriage in 1745 of an Edward Waller to Esther Weaver in Kendal, Westmorland. Family Search has it with separate entries neither of whom show the spouse but if you look at the dates it seems to be these two people.

There seems to be several of their family members born in Brough under Stainmore, Westmorland between 1748 and 1769 which appears to make sense.

Are you sure "the son" John is right for this couple - it looks like 2 different families.

Any thoughts?

Alan

Offline sam-ann

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 21 February 18 23:24 GMT (UK) »
Well Alan many thanks for your reply, so grateful.  This John is my 3 times g grandfather b 1741 at Bishopwearmouth Durham. He married Eleanor possibly Heaviside/Heavyside.. I am glad you agree with me that the Edward/Esther seems correct.
Maybe i am getting cross lines with John being their son, I do know a John married Eleanor? i have the birth of their daughter Jane born Durham, Jane being my 2 times g grandma and her parents are John and Eleanor. However, this is the only John i could find that (to me) seemed correct but.....i am hopeless at this and working alone is difficult.
Many thanks for your help
Sam

Offline sam-ann

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 21 February 18 23:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi Alan, on John's baptism record it has his father as Edward Waller but no mothers name, baptised at
Bishopwearmouth Durham.

Regards
Sam

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 22 February 18 07:22 GMT (UK) »
There is a John Waller who married Eleanor Hall 6 April 1782 in Whitby Yorkshire that's some distance away.
What did John do for a living?

John and Eleanor Waller of Bishopwear Durham had

John ?                          buried 9 July 1787
Thomas baptized 6 December 1787
?Ann 1792                    buried 14 June 1817
George baptized 29 June 1794  buried 1816 age 22

I didn't find a daughter Jane so far

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 22 February 18 07:26 GMT (UK) »
Is this the baptism of Jane that you refer to  :-\

Jane Waller
Baptised   30 October 1791
Parents   John & Eleanor of Fulthorpe
Parish   Grindon, Durham

Who did 'your' Jane marry and when/where
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Tall Al

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 22 February 18 08:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I don't think that the marriage of Edward and Esther in Kendal in 1745 is the right fit for your John's parents. Mainly because of the distance involved (over 80 miles between these places); the fact that that couple (Edward Waller and Esther Weaver) have children born near Kendal after 1745;  and that their marriage took place about 4 years after your John was born.

However I do think there is a possible marriage for Edward which took place at Gateshead on 18 May 1739 to an Isabel Hayton. These places are only 11 miles apart and looks a reasonable possibility, bearing in mind John was born 13/5/1741  in Bishopwearmouth (2 years after marriage).

In those days most people tended to stay in the locality.

Alan

Offline Tall Al

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 22 February 18 08:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Thinking a bit more about Edward Waller who you suggest was born c1707 in Lancashire, the son of William and Agnes. Is it not more likely he would have been born in the county near where he married?

Possible birth Edward Waller christened 12 May 1716 at Middleton-in-Teesdale, Durham - Parents John Waller and Mary.

Is it a coincidence that Edward calls his son after his father?

Alan

Offline sam-ann

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 22 February 18 11:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,
How different my Waller line looks when someone is working with me and pointing things out that to me just didnt stand out! Many thanks for all you do.

Here is some info off records i have Now this is interesting its the headstone reading of:

Eleanor ? wife of John Waller of Fatfield Durham d 21 jan 1796 aged 42yrs. John Waller her husband d 18 May 1823 aged 73yrs, Thomas son of above d 5 june 1831 aged 43yrs, also Elizabeth wife of John Waller  d 16 April 1841 aged 89yrs also Isabella Smith daug of Elizabeth Waller above d 1853 aged76yrs..
To my amazement this shows John married twice, only God knows why this hasn't registered with me before. Now an even bigger headache!
Also my 3x g grandmother Jane Waller was married at Bishopwearmouth Durham 9 June 1811 ti Robert Ferens.

I'm so grateful for your help to say the least in helping me work these ancestors out. Thank you so much
Sam