Author Topic: Is there a connection between Ensoll families of London and Worcester/Hereford?  (Read 330 times)

Offline Stu_ChCh

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
There are 2 distinct branches of Ensoll families and I've been unable to link them.
The London Ensoll families were Drapers while the Worcester/Hereford families were farmers.

The London drapers were established by the early-mid 1800's.

Is there any connection between these families?

It may be a case of variants of surnames (Ensall, Ensell, Insole) but the spelling is consistent thru the census and BDM records.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Is there a connection between Ensoll families of London and Worcester/Hereford?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 20 February 18 23:31 GMT (UK) »
Looking just at the 1861 census entries for Ensoll - the  London ones were born in London and the Hereford ones were born Hereford

Which particular Ensoll family are you researching and have you actually found any connection between the counties from baptismal or marriage records of the ones you are researching?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Stu_ChCh

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Is there a connection between Ensoll families of London and Worcester/Hereford?
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 21 February 18 00:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi Carole
I'm researching all the London Ensolls, in particular Richard Ensoll born c1811.
His father was also Richard, birth unknown.

Have found no connection between the counties in baptism records.

It is such an unusual surname (at least this spelling), I wonder how/if they are connected, but I've found nothing that links them.