Author Topic: Glasgow 1943  (Read 1359 times)

Online RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
Re: Glasgow 1943
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 21 February 18 12:59 GMT (UK) »
The principal officers appear to be listed for each address but there is no overall employee list for any of the addresses (which wasn't really the role of the Directory) and given that unless you made it to the top in the Civil Service you were basically anonymous, especially to the hierarchy

Offline cupcake

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My G Grandfather - Robert Johnstone Moffat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 21 February 18 13:18 GMT (UK) »
Once again, thank you. At least I now know where in Glasgow my father worked :).
Moffat- Mein - Titterington - Kidman

Online RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 21 February 18 14:23 GMT (UK) »
Once again, thank you. At least I now know where in Glasgow my father worked :).

The different offices appear to have had different purposes - do you know your fathers role in the Revenue ?
George street is listed as a Collection Office while the others in the 41/42 listing appear to be administration. Mitchell Street is cited as the Head Office while Wellington Street and Sauchiehall Street are linked with Dunbartonshire and Rutherglen.

Many of these office blocks are still standing and can be seen in Googles Street View

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 21 February 18 15:51 GMT (UK) »
Presumably the employees signed the Official Secrets Act & had some anonymity!

Skoosh.

Offline cupcake

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My G Grandfather - Robert Johnstone Moffat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 21 February 18 17:11 GMT (UK) »

The different offices appear to have had different purposes - do you know your fathers role in the Revenue ?
George street is listed as a Collection Office while the others in the 41/42 listing appear to be administration. Mitchell Street is cited as the Head Office while Wellington Street and Sauchiehall Street are linked with Dunbartonshire and Rutherglen.

Many of these office blocks are still standing and can be seen in Googles Street View

I believe he was a Deputy Collector of Taxes when he was when he was transferred to Dumfries in 1946.
Moffat- Mein - Titterington - Kidman