Author Topic: Rogers of Thurlestone  (Read 544 times)

Offline athel_cb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Rogers of Thurlestone
« on: Wednesday 21 February 18 10:45 GMT (UK) »
My great[9]-grandmother English Rogers married Phillip Cornishe on 12 June 1598 in Thurlestone, Devon.  James T. Houssemayne du Boulay, who wrote "Cornish of Devon" at the end of the 19th century, after studying parish registers in Thurlestone and elsewhere in Devon, says nothing about her baptism or parents, though he says that the Rogers family was one of the leading families in Thurlestone. Unfortunately, however, he says very little more than that. That suggests that some information must exist, unless the Thurlestone branch died out so thoroughly that no one has been interested enough to find it.

Incidentally, although English Cornishe was apparently called like that her name is Latinized as Anglicia in the register. She was buried on 20 March 1638 in Thurlestone, Devon.

There are several Honor Cornishes, a given name that apparently came from the Rogerses, but again, there is no direct evidence of that. My father learned this too late to give the name Honor to one of my sisters: I expect she is grateful that she didn't get landed with that name, but it's been a while since I asked her.

Other than going to Thurlestone myself, which would be far more difficult today than it would have been when I was often in Devon, can anyone suggest a way to proceed?
Cornish (Devon), Bowden (Cornwall, Devon), Kitson (Devon, not North Lancashire), Karslake (Devon), Eales (Devon), Churchill (Dorset -- no known connection with Sir Winston), Duncan (Ireland), Colclough (Ireland, not Staffordshire), McMurtry (Ireland), Browning (Hampshire, Dumfries), Heberden (various), Rogers (Thurlestone, Devon)