Author Topic: Margaret King Axbridge/ highbridge born Inverness 1899  (Read 637 times)

Offline peattie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Margaret King Axbridge/ highbridge born Inverness 1899
« on: Wednesday 21 February 18 13:17 GMT (UK) »
Hello all,

I am looking to locate the older sister of my Grandad. Margaret King was born in Inverness 18th April 1899 to Henry and Catherine King nee Campbell (sometimes he's Henry Harold)

The family moved several times between Wiltshire, Somerset and Scotland between 1899 and 1911.

We are not able to find a marriage or death record for Margaret. Henry, Catherine and the younger children moved back to Scotland in 1920 /21 and we don't think she went with them.

We know that Catherine died in Inverness but we suspect that Henry died in Axbridge, still TBC.

My mother said that she remembers a time when Margaret called my Grandad as they shared a birthday, so we think that she would have died in the 1980/90s.

I would appreciate any advice or anyone on the site who has a connection to this side of our family.

Thanks

Anne

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Margaret King Axbridge/ highbridge born Inverness 1899
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 21 February 18 14:46 GMT (UK) »
There are 13 deaths for a Margaret born 18.4.1899 in various parts of England but not in the places you mention and none are surname King.

Pity she didn't have a middle name as that could have helped  :-\

You would have to look at all 13 surnames then trace marriages to see if a Margaret King married anybody of that surname  www.freebmd.org.uk

If she returned to Scotland - SP index is showing 78 marriages for a Margaret King between 1918-1930 although you can narrow that down by area and by ignoring the entries with middle names.  Nothing in Inverness

Re: your previous post - have you established if that was Henry's death I found in Axbridge?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline peattie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 21 February 18 16:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

We have ordered the certificate for Axbridge and should get it by PDF tomorrow. We're hoping that the certificate may give us a lead. I'm too impatient to wait so I wanted to post in case anyone else had any connection with Margaret. 

Margaret's sisters got married in Elgin so that may well be worth checking out, it's odd she doesn't have a middle name as the other children in the family do but we have her birth certificate also which doesn't have one.

Thanks

Anne

Offline peattie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 22 February 18 14:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi Carole,

Thanks for all your help but I'm afraid that the 1931 certificate for Henry King in Axbridge is inconclusive.

There is limited information on it. This Henry King died by drowning and it's the coroner's information on it, not any family names that we recognise. The occupation is noted as general labourer which doesn't quite fit with our Henry's past history. Although on a Marriage certificate we have his profession is gardener so not a million miles away.

Apparently there is a link to a newspaper article on Find my past about it but we aren't able to increase our subscription at the moment and we only have the standard 12 month subscription.

Thanks for all your help anyway, we really appreciate the time that you've put in to help us get some answers.

Anne