Author Topic: U-boat rammed by British tanker  (Read 3286 times)

Offline Chiad Fhear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Aye mair questions than answers!
    • View Profile
Re: U-boat rammed by British tanker
« Reply #36 on: Friday 16 March 18 15:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone

Thanks to seaweed for locating the report of the WW1 engagement involving Captain Murray's ship the S.S. "Baynyassa" and a German submarine.  I have transcribed the document and make no apologies for the punctuation - or lack of it - it is as found:

British S.S. “BAYNYASSA” attacked submarine 25th July 1917.

SOURCE AND DATE
M.72092. British Consulate, Santiago de Cuba. 15.8.17.

Letter from Consul:-
“I have the honour to enclose copies of declaration made before me, by the Master, G. B. Murray, and Chief Officer Alfred Moodie, & First Gunner, William Gobey, of the British steamship “BAYNYASSA” and having reference to the sinking of a German submarine, by the said steamship on the twentyfifth of July, in N latitude 47-52, W longitude 11-44, as already reported in my cablegram of the ninth instant.
The originals of these declarations have been forwarded to the Chief Intelligence Officer at Jamaica, who has also been advised by cablegram, and copies have been supplied to H.M. Minister at Havana.”

Statement by Master, dated 13th Aug.
“I beg to report to you that on the twentyfifth July, shortly after 6.a.m a periscope was sighted on the port bow by the chief officer, the ships head was immediately altered to port, with the intention of ramming the submarine, this we succeeded in doing as we struck the periscope with our starboard bow, the hull of the submarine was plainly visible from our deck, directly under the steamer.
About ten minutes afterwards the submarine came to the surface astern, and as I had no doubt his intention was to attack us, I ordered the gunners to open fire immediately, shortly afterwards the submarine replied with two guns his shells landing in the water well ahead of the steamer, our fourth shot hit the submarine in the fore part directly alongside his forward gun after which the shells from his after gun dropped alongside of steamer and then suddenly landed well astern of steamer, the submarine now appeared to be listing to starboard.
We used a number of smoke boxes, and after the smoke had cleared away we saw the submarine with her forepart under water and her stern in the air.
Just at this time a second periscope was reported right ahead by the lookout on the forecastle head, I did not see the second periscope myself nor did any of the officers but as it had been reported I did not return to try and pick up any of the submarine crew as I deemed it better to continue at our utmost speed and get away from this area.
In all we fired 23 rounds the action lasting about an hour the submarine fired about 30 rounds, none of which found their mark.
I am pleased to inform you that the behaviour of the crew in all departments was all that could be desired, I think special credit is due to the chief officer for his prompt action in altering the helm to ram the submarine immediately he sighted the periscope and also to the gunners for the manner in which they handled the gun when ordered to open fire.”

Extract from Statement by First Officer:-
“…….. the vessel used smoke boxes and when smoke cleared away the submarine was seen about five miles away with bow submerged and stern high out of water ……..”

Statement by 1st Gunner:-
“That on the morning of July 25th about six twenty a.m. he saw astern of the vessel a submarine about half a mile astern.
That following instructions from the master he opened fire and at the fourth shot struck the submarine alongside of the forward gun firing was continued until I saw that the shots were falling short the submarine being out of range.
The submarine opened fire on our vessel with both her guns but shortly after the engagement began the forward gun was put out of action and the last we saw of the submarine he had his bow well under water the crew standing in the water practically up to their armpits. We fired in all 23 rounds and the submarine about thirty rounds in all.”

Finally, I have discovered that all three mentioned in the report were decorated:-

SECOND SUPPLEMENT TO THE LONDON GAZETTE OF TUESDAY 18th DECEMBER 1917.
HONOURS FOR THE MERCANTILE MARINE.

The KING, has been graciously pleased to approve of the award of Honours, Decorations and Medals to the undermentioned Officers and men of the British Mercantile Marine, in recognition of zeal and devotion to duty shown in carrying on the trade of the country during the War: —
To be a Companion of the Distinguished Service Order.      Capt. George Badenoch Murray (Lieut., R.N.R.).
To receive the Distinguished Service Cross.      Ch. Offr. Alfred Henderson Moodie
To receive the Distinguished Medal.      Sea. William Gobey."

Thanks to all RootsChatters involved  ;)   A great result.

Chiad Fhear
Aye mair questions than answers in a world where the past was a different place - that cannae be revisited!

Family surnames being researched ...
Crawford, Neilson, Lindsay, Reekie, Davidson
Drummond, Laing, Pearson, Tulloch ... will do for starters but there's a whole lot more!

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk