Author Topic: George Ross born about 1807 County Down, Ireland  (Read 1954 times)

Offline mcadamsd

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: George Ross born about 1807 County Down, Ireland
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 11 April 18 15:49 BST (UK) »
Attempted to find someone at cemetery this week but no luck.  Walked cemetery looking for a marker that might fit but no success. 

Found daughter Lavina's marker (husband Herman Brown 1853-1925)

Lavina and Herman married rather late in life.  She was 65 according info found online.  They married in Port Huron, Michigan in 1922 but I have not seen a marriage document to see if a possible second marriage or if it might give a maiden name for her mother Elizabeth, born about 1813
Dunbar, Clark,Bain, Lipp, Campbell, Pope, Barnard, Handcock, McAdams,Creath

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 11 April 18 17:49 BST (UK) »
Lavina married under Vina.
Death in St. Clair Michigan 14 Jul 1928.  Born 12 Feb 1857 Canada under Vina Ross Brown
Parents George Ross, Ireland and Jane Rich, England.
To be buried Sarnia
Informant was Thomas H. Holmes, Mooretown, Ontario

Offline mcadamsd

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 12 April 18 12:36 BST (UK) »
Great added info Cosmac.

I had seen hints about the death in St. Clair township. Her burial in Ontario was a bit confusing.  Wondering if husband worked on railroad and they were living in Michigan for work.

The death info is however confusing.  We have father as George Ross born Ireland but mother as Elizabeth (unknown maiden name) born about 1813 in unknown location.  On several marriage documents for children the parents are George and Elizabeth. A mystery to follow here

The informant, Thomas H. Holmes of Mooretown fits perfectly.  He was my great uncle and he is well documented in my tree.

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 12 April 18 16:22 BST (UK) »
In 1851 and 1861 George and family in York County, York I think
1851  Geo 45 born Ireland and Elizabeth 25 born England
Children Eliza J 7
Harriet? 6
William 4
Margaret 2
S? 1
http://data2.collectionscanada.gc.ca/e/e096/e002375293.jpg

George widowed 52
Eliza J 15
Wm 13
Martha 12
Elizabeth 9
Levena 5
Ann 8
George 1
http://data2.collectionscanada.gc.ca/1861/jpg/4391955_00254.jpg

Added
Marriage of Ross and Martin in Lambton shows her place of birth as Co. of York

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 12 April 18 20:48 BST (UK) »
There is a record of Eliza Jane Ross d/o George and Elizabeth Ross born 04 Mar 1846 baptized 23 Dec 1846 York, Home.

Possibility that Eliza married Charles Chambers 24 Dec 1879 at Toronto.  No information except names of bride and groom and date.
Eliza Jane Ross was noted as mother to Charles Chambers born 23 Mar 1881, and George and Kate sharing the birth date of 07 Oct 1883.  All three born Toronto.
Eliza Jane Chambers died 10 Dec 1889 (pneumonia).  On the 1891 census Charles has remarried to a Susan. 

George Ross Chambers married 1913 at Toronto shown as son of Eliza Jane Ross.

In 1871 Toronto working as a servant for Egerton Ryerson there is an Eliza Ross which accounts for her not moving to Lambton with her father. 
A family tree on ancestry links the Eliza Jane Ross who married Charles Chambers to a different 1871 census showing father Donald.  That seems to be their only proof.

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 13 April 18 21:42 BST (UK) »
Marriage record with no information except participants
07 Dec 1876 Moore township Sarah Ross to George Bruce.
They are buried Lakeview Cemetery Sarnia.  Her dates are 16 Jul 1856 - 15 Feb 1930.
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01lwe/ 
Link to her death record in Michigan.  Father George Ross and mother Elizabeth unknown
In 1921 Canadian census she indicated her father born Ireland and mother England.

Margaret Ross 28 born York Township d/o George Ross and Elizabeth Cousins married James McLellan 08 Oct 1879 York.  Margaret McLellan died 23 Jan 1925 York with parents shown as John Ross and Martha Cousins.  Not sure if this relates or not.

Martha Ross, 19 d/o George and Elizabeth Ross married 11 Oct 1870 Sarnia, Lambton to John Watson.
Seem to have had George 1873, Franklin 1875, Maggie M. 26 Jan 1882.  1901 census the couple is still in Moore, Lambton with daughter Maggie.  Martha might have died in 1908 but that record indicates she was single - no parents given.

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 13 April 18 22:01 BST (UK) »
Have you located obituaries for your known family.  They sometimes contain important pieces of information about the past.  There is also the Sarnia Archives but they charge a fee for research.

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 14 April 18 00:38 BST (UK) »
There is a marriage of Elizabeth Cousins to George Ross
10 Nov 1845 Home District

Could George have married twice and different children have different mothers?

Offline mcadamsd

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 23 April 18 18:10 BST (UK) »
I have found several death records but no obituaries to possibly add detail.  Will have to see what can be found.

I found a marriage 7 Oct 1874 for an Elizabeth Ross born about 1852/3 according to marriage doc.  Parents George and Elizabeth and birth location County of York.  Spouse George Martin ( Some sources point to a George Washington Martin) He was a blacksmith born in St. Mary's Ontario parents Elijah Martin and Elizabeth Hunter.  I have been told there is a record of his death in Michigan 12 JUL 1937  Detroit, Wayne, Michigan, USA.  Have not seen that record.  If spouse George passed in Michigan, is that were Elizabeth passed as well?

I have found three children of Elizabeth and George and one Hattie Martin married and was in Michigan by 1900.  Daughter Lottie 1879-1897 passed in Lambton county  Son George Norman b 15 Sep 1888 Moore Township, Lambton appears with family in 1891 census but then no sign of them in 1901.  Possibly everyone in Michigan for work?  Guessing there would be demand for blacksmiths in Detroit at turn of the century. From Detroit Historical society about 1900 "Detroit is the world’s largest manufacturer of heating and cooking stoves.  Other big industries include ship building, cigars and tobacco, pharmaceuticals, beer, rail cars, and foundry and machine shop products"

The 1851 census looks like there may be names I have not accounted for (or this is a wrong George and Elizabeth)

I had Maria J Ross, birth about 1847, as being born in Lambton but now question that as sister Elizabeth born 1853 was born in York.  Now thinking this was bad info from a 1970s family tree.

Given that Ross is not an uncommon name and given names are rather common there could be some errors.