Author Topic: easington monk hesledon castle eden  (Read 542 times)

Offline billathdt

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
easington monk hesledon castle eden
« on: Wednesday 21 February 18 22:00 GMT (UK) »
Come on all you experienced genealogists please help me out. Ive managed to research my family tree but ive fallen at the last hurdle.

In the 1901 census my Gt Grandfather William Nicholson and the family were living at Castle Eden colliery village, near Monk Hesledon in the district of Easington Co Durham. Then he completely disappears the next entry is his sons  (Lawrence) wedding in Edinburgh  (Canongate) in 1916. The wedding certificate says grooms father deceased and mother is a widow. I cannot find any record of his death, Ive checked wills and probate  ship passenger lists, the merchant navy crew lists and even the Norway records. Family gossip says he died in some form of an accident involving a boat/ship or water. Am I missing something stupidly obvious ????

Here is the info I have.

William Nicholson b 1854 Stokke, Vestfold province Norway born Olau Olsen son of Nikoli Olsen I guess that's where the name Nicholson came from. On some entries he is down as a  Norweign Subject. He was a ships carpenter on the old sailing ships and married Isabella Ross b circa 1860 in Edinburgh in the 1880s.  In some records he is listed as an above ground carpenter but the 1891 census states he was aboard the SS John Marychurch in Sunderland.

The family consisted of
William Nicholson
Isabella Nicholson wife
Lawrence Nicholson son
John R Nicholson son   my Grandfather

I cannot believe someone can disappear in the 20th century unless he wanted to of course.

Thanks people and good luck

Online jamcat95

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: easington monk hesledon castle eden
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 22 February 18 16:02 GMT (UK) »

and even the Norway records.

Hi and welcome to Rootschat
I can help you with the Norwegian side of things but I am unable to find his birth in 1854 in Stokke Parish. How do you know he came from there and also his Norwegian name.
He can have returned to Norway. I have seen this before with a couple of Swedish gentlemen I have researched in the past.

Ian

Offline billathdt

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 22 February 18 18:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi  Ian   His name was Ole Nikolaus DOB varies 1853-54 sorry wrong info on post cant read my own writing !!!!   son of Nikolai Jonasen and Oliane Olsdatter. Details are in the Norway 1865 census reference 0720 Stokke. Lived at Raastd Farm Stokke district of Notterey. Ive traced the Norway family so its only his death between the 1901 and 1911 census I'm trying to find, Incidentally their daughter Georgina Rose died Sept 1902 in South Shields aged 12 so logically they were in UK in 1902. I had thought about him returning to Norway or even Sweden (his father was Swedish) but cant find the family on any passenger lists. Thanks for your time  Bill

Online jamcat95

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 23 February 18 12:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I'm sorry but I cannot help you with Scotland and England but have looked in Norway and Sweden and I could not find a death record or anything else unfortunately.
But I did take the liberty (which I hope is ok) and found some records from Sweden and Norway. I traced his father Niklas Jonasson in Sweden and then to Norway:

Niklas Jonasson - Birth - 12 Jan 1812 - Sillerud Parish:
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01lmm/

1813 Sillerud Census - Niklas Jonasson and family - at bottom:
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01lmp/

Niklas Jonasson and Oleana Olsdatter - Marriage - 3 July 1853 - Stokke Parish - nr13:
http://urn.digitalarkivet.no/URN:NBN:no-a1450-kb20051018010342.jpg

Ole Nicholsen - Birth - 23 Apr 1853 - Stokke Parish:
http://urn.digitalarkivet.no/URN:NBN:no-a1450-kb20051018010130.jpg

1865 Norway Census - at bottom:
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01lmn/

1875 Norway Census: Ole is at the bottom as a seaman from Australia to England
http://urn.digitalarkivet.no/URN:NBN:no-a1450-ft20110214381007.jpg

Ian

Offline billathdt

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 23 February 18 17:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ian  Thanks very much.

I have no problem you double checking Norway/Sweden it confirms my research and you spotted the 1875 census entry I didn't check that census because I assumed he was in the UK then. If nothing else it confirms I haven't missed anything.

The only other angle I can try is if he died somewhere overseas post 1901 census but the worlds a big place where do you start ??? One bit of new information Ive found their daughter died in South Shields in Sept 1902 aged 12 so the family was still in the Co Durham area in 1902. Thanks again for your time and knowledge. Bill

Online jamcat95

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 24 February 18 10:45 GMT (UK) »
Cheers Bill

I took a look in Scotlands People of the off chance of finding something. You may already have done this but there are 2 records of a William Nicholson aged 59 and 60 in 1911 as "Marine Returns".
Could be something.

Ian

Offline billathdt

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 24 February 18 14:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi Again    Ive used Scotlands People but I cant remember seeing a marine return section though. The other thing is if one of the entries are for him I would have thought the rest of the family would be on the 1911 SP census. Its a long time since I looked at SP so it is possible they have added more 1911 info to their site since I last looked.  Bill