Author Topic: Francis Collingwood born about 1770  (Read 1749 times)

Offline Tom Tramp

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Francis Collingwood born about 1770
« on: Thursday 22 February 18 09:55 GMT (UK) »
Francis COLLINGWOOD was a saddler living and working at Great Portland Street, London in the early nineteenth century. It is likely that he died aged 50 in 1820.  I am investigating the possibility that he came from an Uppingham family. Two things suggest this could be the case.
1.   An older Francis COLLINGWORTH (about 1739-1780) was a publican in Uppingham, and his family included two children with names and dates of birth that correspond to those of the known siblings of Saddler Francis.
2.   There was a bequest in the will of an Uppingham lady, Sarah PARKER (died 1805  – she was the sister of Rev’d John Parker MA who was Usher at the School). The bequest is to “Francis Collingwood of Great Portland Street, Middlesex, saddler”.
Francis, the Uppingham publican appears to have had children, Mary 1771, Henry 1774, Ann, 1776 and Edward, 1778. It would have been ideal had there been one more: Francis, 1770, but I can find no sign of this.
Two of the siblings, Mary and Edward are buried at Uppingham churchyard with their parents. It is interesting that neither Henry nor Ann are there since there is an older Rootschat string (http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=532975.msg3872772#msg3872772) about people who could well have been them, together with their brother Francis (who is confirmed to be the Saddler Francis). At the time when that string was active, an Uppingham origin was suggested, but not established; all three of them lived at least the latter parts of their lives away from Rutland.
I’d be very glad to receive help from anybody who knows about the Uppingham COLLINGWOODs or can find any other evidence that the Saddler Francis was born in Uppingham in about 1770.

BENNETT in Aspley Guise/Dunstable, Beds or East End of London; NORTH in Leeds, W. Yorks or Leics or MASS, USA; NORWICH in Leics; PAYNE in Braybrooke, Nothants; PEGG in Leics

Offline Bunnygirl

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Keep plodding on you Will find it!!
    • View Profile
Re: Francis Collingwood born about 1770
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 22 April 18 08:34 BST (UK) »
Hi
I've had a look at my copy of Uppingham PR and can only find a Francis Collingwood baptized 6 May 1780 to Thomas & Mary Collingwood. That's the nearest in date time one.
Francis Collingwood was c 10 Sept 1739 son of Edward  his siblings are;
Ann c 22 May 1732
Edward c 27 June 1734
Jane c 18 June 1736/7 Edward a glover
Mary c 11 Feb 1741/2 Edward a glover
Mary c 3 Mar 1750/1

Edward Collingwood Married 10 Sept 1732 at Uppingham Edward a glover of this parish
Jane Freeman of this parish marriage by Banns.

Jane's burial 3 May 1771 aged 66yrs wife of Edward (born 1705)

Hope this helps
Bunnygirl

Leicestershire; Rothley,  Fowkes, Biddles, Dawson, Allen, Lambert, Tebbett, Needham , Horner, Cooper, Pagett, Jaques, Kinton, Newbald, Duffill    Halford, Cope, Bywater , Hunt
Bedfordshire; Cardington, Trueman, Wilstead  Bridges, Clark(e), Redman
Essex; Eady, Newman, Copsey, Rawlin, Gilders, Smith  
Rotherhithe; Henderson, Eady. Lambert
Rutland & Bedfordshire  Staffod, Glover, Tom(b)lin
Suffolk  (Wissington) Eady.
Lincolnshire, Tomlin

Offline Tom Tramp

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Francis Collingwood born about 1770
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 22 April 18 15:46 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Thanks a lot for checking this.
I suspect the 1780 Francis is not the one who became a Saddler in London. It said on the net somewhere, though it is maybe not totally reliable, that 1780 Francis and at least one of his siblings settled in America, Perhaps his father, Thomas (who seems to have been a Victualler, born about 1743, son of Thomas and Elizabeth) could have been the first cousin of 1739 Francis (the Publican). So your Edward, the Glover and Thomas senior would then have been brothers born around 1700. But that is just a guess.
Your message clarified some confusion over the name of Edward COLLINGWOOD’s wife. There are some records transcribed on the net in which the children of the 1739 Francis generation have parent’s Edward and Ann. It looks as though that “Ann” or “Anne” could be a mistranscribed form of Jane.

BENNETT in Aspley Guise/Dunstable, Beds or East End of London; NORTH in Leeds, W. Yorks or Leics or MASS, USA; NORWICH in Leics; PAYNE in Braybrooke, Nothants; PEGG in Leics